Why do YOU think they free'd him?

Fury over the decision to release Lockerbie bomber Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi from a Scottish jail last Thursday is growing, with the scandal now threatening to engulf British officials, and follow Col. Muammar Gaddafi on his visit to New York next month for an address to the U.N. General Assembly.

At the heart of the brouhaha are questions over whether Britain decided to release Megrahi in order to gain favorable treatment from Gaddafi on multi-billion-dollar energy and defense contracts. London says there was no deal - and that the decision to release the convicted terrorist was made by Scottish authorities on compassionate grounds because Megrahi, the only person jailed for the 1988 bombing of a Pan Am jet in which 270 people died, has terminal cancer.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090824/wl_time/08599191825900;_ylt=ApR19G_jZUW8WeTnonf5BIO2GL8C;_ylu=X3oDMTJqYmFsMWtrBGFzc2V0A3RpbWUvMjAwOTA4MjQvMDg1OTkxOTE4MjU5MDAEY3BvcwM2BHBvcwM2BHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDbGlieWFob2xkc3Bv
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I wouldn't put it past the bastards! If that SOB doesn't die within the 4 months they gave him I hope to God they put his ass back in prison!  They should never have let him out in the first place!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't have a clue
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I heard a great quote on this (and I'm paraphrasing here) "Justice and politics don't mix. Politics always wins."
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

Right!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• he was released because of politics. All about that black gold!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2009