Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hospital Dog?

Who should I contact to get my dog in a program to visit people who are in the hospital and would like to visit with a live animal for a short while once a week or so. What sort of training (other than the obvious, of course) would he need, and what kind of certification?


Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pets

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I would also contact local nursing homes and dog training clubs, etc and see what programs are already in place. You don't have to start something new if there are already systems in place. Find out who is doing it near you and ask how you can get involved. Also go along without your own pet a time or two to see how things are presently done. You may have suggestions after you've been involved.
    It does not take very long to get certified if the pet has the proper temperament, but you should continue training after certification.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

  • It's called therapy dog and your dog would have to go through a heap load of behavioral testing, classes/training, etc etc (At your own expense) to even be qualified. Then once he is "certified" you will then have to find a center who allows it.

    Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

  • So where do I start looking for a place to train my dog to become qualified as a "Therapy dog"?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

  • I'm sure they have a website...

    yup, there you go

    Answer by Petie at 2:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

  • thanks

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2009