Does anyone have any experience with Bipolar children? I need some suggestions

Our 12 yr old grandson has just moved in with us and he's been diagnosed as Bipolar and also with Oppositionl Defiance Disorder. He's quite argumentative and absolutely wears me out just trying to have a conversation with him and get him to make a good choice for himself. Does anyone have any suggestions on the most successful ways to deal with a bipolar child? He's on medications that scare the life out of me. He's an extremely intelligent child and We're trying to alter his diet some and see how that works out..but I need someone with real life experience..and hopefully successful treatments to help guide me through this process in his best interest...and ours.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Health

• my 4 year old child has this too I think, someone told me to try lemon balm.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I would try all natural things over pills while their brains are still developing.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• www.feingold.org

definitely make an appointment with his therapist to learn how to handle him.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Counseling is essential, for him and for you.

My nephew has bipolar and ODD. My sister and her ex husband struggle daily with his issues. He is on several medications as well that are also quite scary, but they help.

Many years ago I was for a short time Teaching parent in a group home for foster children with severe behavioral issues and consistency and learning as much as you can about the conditions are keys to dealing with them.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 5:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2009