Question about cows milk/bfing

This is not trying to bash anyone, Im just curious.
I see some moms saying they breastfeed for longer because cows milk is gross and full of hormones etc.
So when you do eventually stop breastfeeding, at whatever age you choose, do you still not give them cows milk?
What do you give them instead?

I'm breastfeeding and want to go untill she weans herself. but I was planning on giving her cows milk, because that's what I drink.
Thanks!

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 12:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• there is nothing wrong with giving cow s milk after baby weans. It is just harder for them to digest than breastmilk since it's made for cows. when my sis had her twins (they are 27 now) she nursed and supplemented with carnation milk.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Personally, I used cows milk. I don't like it, but my daughter does and so does hubby. But there are many alternatives and cows milk is not necessary as long as the fat and other nutrients are obtianed thorugh other sources. Some use soy or goats milk, others skip milk all together and just offer a variety of other healthy foods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• There are other milks besides cows milk.. I never understood the argument from people who refuse to use cows milk because their babies aren't cows but then in turn use goats milk... So i'm guessing they are saying their babies are goats? (I understand other reasonings behind it just not this one.. )

KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I've read not to give milk to infants until they hit 1 year
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• "I've read not to give milk to infants until they hit 1 year "
    Ya I know that...But some women breastfeed till like 2 and say it's because cow milk is full of hormones.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 12:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Well, DD bf'd until 13 months and she got cows milk - organic, and DS is 2.5 and still nurses but has also had cows milk since age 1 with meals and stuff....

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• You can get organic cows milk as well so it doesn't have all of the hormones and crap in it.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I would venture to guess to most extended BFers don't do it just because they don't like the contents of cows milk. You could give Almond milk, Rice Milk, and then there is organic cows milk from cows that were not injected with growth hormones.

My DD is 13 months, and I give cows milk with lunch and dinner.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I breastfed my older kids until they were at least one and then switched them to cow's milk. My youngest is 9 months and I plan to bfeed him as well until he's one and then switch to cows milk. My oldest 2 drank rice milk, because we went to a casein free gluten free diet for a period of time but after not seeing any appreciable difference we went back to regular cow's milk.

Answer by missanc at 1:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I breastfed my son until the day after he turned 2 because I too wanted him to wean himself. He has been drinking cow's milk since the day after he turned one. He didn't particularly enjoy it at first but he does now. Also, yogurt is great for them, full of protein and calcium.
    CVRsmommy

Answer by CVRsmommy at 1:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2009