I'm curious, Does it hurt when you get your water broken?

I'm just curious. With my first I was induced and when he broke my water I had already had the epidural. So I was just wondering if it hurts when the doctor does it if you don't have an epidural or pain meds. It just seems like it would because when they do checks on your cervix and strip your membranes it hurts.

MizAnn

Asked by MizAnn at 12:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had my water broke and I didn't have an epi...it didn't hurt at all.
    GinaPetty

Answer by GinaPetty at 12:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• No it's the biggest relief ever! Some pressure at first that's all.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My doc, used a condom looking thing with a point on his finger, sorry it sounds gross but that's how mine was done, if me and hubby would had been fooling around my water would had easily broke.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 12:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It doesn't hurt but it's uncomfortable and there's alot of pressure. It shouldn't hurt when they just check your cervix either... Stripping the membranes, yea that hurts but a routine check shouldn't be painful (Uncomfortable but not painful)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• nope, like pp said it's a huge relief but it's kinda gross :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• mine hurt.. but it was because i had a FULL bladder! the nurse wouldnt let me go pee! after about 10 mins the dr made me walk to the potty and go! after that it took 1 try and didnt hurt at all!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 1:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It was not painful for me and was a relief. I didn't think it was that gross. The doctor put a bunch of towels on the bed to soak up the water.

I would suggest NOT allowing them to do it until your at least a 6 +. I only say that because they broke my sister's when she was a 4 and the baby didn't have the water to protect his head as he decended nor did he have it to help him move into the proper position. She ended up with an emerency c-section.

I had mine done a 6 with 80% effacement and mine was sucessful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I had mine done at the beginning of my induction [both times]. They started the IV & pitocin & then the dr came and broke my water. Getting to my cervix hurt since it was still pretty high up but I didn't even feel him break my water until I felt it get warm.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• No it was not painfull at all.
    BOOGIETHEBOOG

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 1:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• no. When they broke my water with my son, i didnt even feel them actually do it, just the gush of fluids out. It didnt hurt in the least but it was soooo gross.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2009