Military housing

Finance just finished basic training (army) we are getting married in Sept. He deploys to Iraq in later that same month. As a military family, will we get a housing allowance? Can I live anywhere in the state or must I live on a base?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• Until you get married nothing can be done. Once you get married base housing is an option for you or you can live out in town.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Once you are married and the paperwork goes through, you will receive a housing allowance for his station (there ARE exceptions to this, but for the most part it's always based upon where he is stationed). To look it up google 2009 BAH rates, and put in his rank and the zip code of his duty station. You'll know what his housing allowance will be. It varies so much, since it is based on cost of living.

YOU can live anywhere you want. YOU are not bound to live where he does or where he is stationed. I know people who live across the country from each other, for lots of reasons.

You always have the option to live on post in housing, or to live off. A lot of people buy houses and use their BAH to pay their mortgage. Others rent. We rent, and we'll continue to rent until we feel the time is right to buy.

(continued)

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• (continued)

Since you are obviously new to the military life, I HIGHLY suggest you register with www.myarmyonesource.com and start taking AFTB classes (Army Family Team Building). It will introduce you to the basics. There's a LOT to learn. The Army is a totally different world. From acronyms, like what does BAH, BAS, PCS, ETS, ACU and so many more, mean. To what to expect as far as pay and benefits to customs and courtsey's to the chain of command.

And that's just in AFTB Level 1. :)
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It's not all as overwhelming as that though - My husbands been in four years and we're still learning things. It's okay if you don't get it all right away. The important things to know are basics though - about BAH (housing) especially. And what you're entitled too. And if he's getting deployed, I'd definitely hook up with the FRG. :-D
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• The great thing about AFTB is that it breaks it down for you. It's not overwhelming because it goes through step by step. I found it to be an incredible help when I was a new spouse and I learned things very quickly because of it. Plus, if you take the courses at your new duty station, you meet a lot of great people. But taking them online helps a lot too.

It's a constant learning process. A lot of things, you learn as you go and that's okay. But you're going to be thrust into this world. It helps on the anxiety if you know the basics.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• U need to know where his duty station will be before u start counting on base housing. He could be stationed in Germany and then deployed to Iraq. You'll just have to wait and see.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:06 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Once you get married and the paper work goes through you will get BAH based on where he's stationed. If you choose to live in military housing they take it in exchange for your 'rent and utilities". However, when he's gone, YOU can live any where in the country and still get the same amount of BAH since its based on where he's stationed not where you live
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2009