what do you did/do you do with your child's/children's artwork?

I cherish every paint brush stroke and crayon mark. So... so far I have a ton just sitting around collecting dust. I don't want to throw them away ... at least not all of them of course. I was thinking of putting them in a 3 ring binder or something. But if I started now and continued I would have tons of binders. I don't know what to do with them. My mom saved lots of mine and my sister's and I loved seeing the things I made and colored from when I was younger. So I do want to save them ... I think... Btw my son is 2... So where is your child's old artwork?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• As my two grown sons were growing up at first I kept every single thing in a bin. As they got older less and less artwork came home. When they were in middle school we sat down one on one and helped choose the ones they wanted to keep, and the ones I couldn't part with the others we sent some to grandparents and such and then got rid of the rest. Now what I have is a very special collection of each. I keep them in a pvc free, acid free, lignin free clear storage pouch I bought at Hobby Lobby. Now we are raising grandkids and I am being more selective as we go a long. My own mothers gave me an art project and a report I did in grade school and some pottery I made at girl scout camp 100 yrs ago.. She kept until 2 yrs ago. It meant a lot that she had.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• As long as it can be scanned, I scan them to my computer and save them in a folder...that way I only keep the REALLY meaningful ones and the rest I can dispose of but still have the pic on the pc
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Right now it's all in a couple of rubbermaid tubs. I have 4 kids and have kept a lot of their stuff from school and some things they've made for me at home. I know one of these days I'll have to go through it and do something with it. I think the binder thing sounds like a good idea, but like you said I'd fill a lot of binders. Hmmmm... I guess I'll figure it out eventually. I know one of my projects this fall will be to go through everything and give each child their own rubbermaid tub. I'll fill each one up and then maybe later on they can go through it with me and we can make a scrapbook(s) or something. I just can't bring myself to throw any of it away.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• The new work gets displayed on the fridge until he does something new and then it goes into a plastic container and then once every couple of months or whenever it starts getting full i'll go through and let my son pick out his favorite ones to keep. There are also certain ones that I put up in a scrapbook.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I keep a few things but the rest gets tossed. Mine are older so I let them decide which ones they have to save and then we put the rest in the recycling. Our kitchen walls are unfinished drywall so we have push pins in them and the kids hang their artwork (from home and school) on the walls in there, on the fridge and on the magnetic board in the dining room. Periodically I clear the area and before school starts each year I take everything down and we start over. That stuff all gets put into storage. With 4 kids I could never save everything. As it is I have a huge rubbermaid tub filled with their old art work, school papers and report cards and my oldest is only going into the 4th grade.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I take a picture of them and then load them on my computer. I have saved like a piece a year in a rubbermaid tub underneath each of their beds.

Answer by missanc at 1:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I save the ones that mean something. At one or two, the day care "helps" a lot, so those ones I toss. But if it's obvious my little one did it herself, or it's a hand or foot print, I"ll keep those. I keeps 2 or three from each class (about 6 month period). Sometimes I'll give them away too. Grandma like to get them as gifts, ya know. And they will hold on to them too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• "Firsts" are always kept as are special pieces (holiday things).

New items are hung on a ribbon. I have a ribbon in their rooms held up with thumbtacks. When they do something new, they get to put it on the ribbon with a clothes pin (also helps work fine motor skills!) When the ribbon is full, things are rotated and I do throw things out. But only when they CAN'T see it!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I have kept everything my ds has done since he started K. Every piece of paper, test, homework, note home, project, artwork, you name it, I have it. He is now 10 in 2 weeks.. Everything is stored in rubbermaid containers and labeled. I also have a container for the misc. pieces of coloring book pages he brings to me here and there over the years. I date them and put them in there.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 3:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I have a bunch of the meaningful pieces in my closet in a tote. But the ones that you really don't want to keep, send them to your family that might not be able to see him as often. All what I have now is from his past school years.
    momof1boy

Answer by momof1boy at 3:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2009