do you ever miss your freedom?

Do you ever feel like you have lost yourself somewhere inbetween marriage, kids and your job besides raising your kids and husband?What do you do about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• Yes and I make sure to get enough 'me' time. a day away shopping alone, a night out with friends, a bath with no one else in the house so that I can run naked to the bedroom.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I feel never really did anything before I got married and had kids. So instead of missing my freedom sometimes I regret not living a single life. Not really dating, or partying. But I wouldn't change anything bc I love my DH and DS more than anything!
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 1:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't think I ever really had freedom. I lived with my mom (even after I had my son) up until 2 years ago, when me an my husband found an apartment. Being a single mother and living with your parents and sisters doesn't give you much freedom at all. You still have to wait for the bathroom, even when I went out, I still had to answer to my mom (I had my son at 19), tell her where I was going and if I came home late, she yelled at me. There's no privacy with 6 people in the house, and even dating was a chore.... You can't miss something you never had I guess.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 1:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't miss my freedom. I tend to think of the things I have instead - security, someone to talk to and share things with, someone that loves me, etc. I do think you can lose yourself if you let that happen. Find something for you - at times I have been involved in aerobics classes, book clubs, and now I work one night a week waiting tables at a restaurant because I love it. Take some time for yourself, go out with friends, make sure you have some time to remember who you are.

Answer by missanc at 1:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Nnnnoooo...I was a danger to myself when I was single with no kids! LOL! I mean, I knew people that were doing far worse to themselves than I was, but it still wasn't good. I like the way being married with kids has mellowed me out.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 1:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Yes, I do. I love being married and I don't miss being single. But I miss not being able to just do anything I want. Take off for the weekend, stay up or out late and sleep until noon. Lay in bed an watch movies, go to the movies. With a baby everything is so much more complicated.

I love being a mom and my child is worth everything in the world to me. I wouldn't change anything. I am happier now than before we were blessed with her.

But do I miss my freedom - you bet!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• On occasion, I will think of what my life was like when I could get and go and not have to worry about diaper bags, extra clothes, "do you need the bathroom?" and the like! I love my kids and they are my world but it does creep into my mind every now and then. I do admit though, becoming a mom is what made me grow up, when in the past, I was kinda fooling around and not really serious about life, so my children made me the woman I am today, and for that I am grateful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I got married when I was 18, and I'm now 63. We have raised three children together. I was never a party person, and all I ever wanted to be was a wife and a mom, even though I do have a college degree and am qualified to teach school. I met my husband when I was 14 and we knew immediately that we wanted to be together for the rest of our lives. I think living in freedom is more of an attitude than it is anything else. If you constantly are thinking about all the things you have missed out on, you will be unhappy with where you are today. If instead, you are constantly thinking about how blessed you are and are able to love the person that you are, you can be totally happy and live totally free. There is no freedom without responsibility. I am free to love and I am free to give my life away to those whom I love. There is no greater freedom that that.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I agree with NannyB. Very good answer.
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 3:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I also agree with NannyB. You can still be "free" when you are in a happy relationship. You can pursue activities and interests whether you are in a committed relationship or not. And if you feel that you are giving up dating or other men, well - that is a sign that things need working on at home.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2009