Nail Biter

My pre-schooler bites his nails, constantly! How do I get him to stop?

mcrayton1978

Asked by mcrayton1978 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think my dad put hot sause on them, me and my brother bite our nails, but my brother used to bite them till the bleed, that nasty nail polish stuff never did nothing we actually liked the taste.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Mine picks at them until they bleed and then moves to another finger. ewww. I used to bite my nails for years, then in high school I wanted nails, took six months f trying but I did it. A side from the sound of the picky feeling like nails on a chalk board I try to ignore it and my hubby keeps her nails clipped short. If his nails were to short to bit he might drop the habit.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Thanks ladies! I haven't had to trim his nails in months! He doesn't bite them until they bleed, it's just a gross habit! He's 3 so who knows where those hands have been!
    mcrayton1978

Answer by mcrayton1978 at 1:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son has been biting his nails since he was 3 too. He's 4 now and it's been forever since i have trimmed his finger nails. I just bought that stuff for thumb sucking called Thum, at Walgreens in the baby care section. I painted his fingertips with it. It's bitter tasting. It's pretty enticing for him to stop now, lol. I don't have to put it on too often now. If I see him with his fingers in his mouth I say "oh, I better put some stuff on you fingers" and he'll jerk his hand away from his mouth and say "NO!". It just might work for us!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Biting you nails means you are nerves so You child might be alitle Nerves...My hubby does the same thing and my mom taught me that..cause She is a Nurse and knows all about that stuff! But Put sause like that lady said put hot sause on them,...it will work!
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 5:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my son bites his nails until there is almost no nail. we have tried the thum stuff and it doens't seem to bother him so much. i refuse to put hot sauce on his fingers coz thats mean and could burn his mouth. i have considered making my son wear mittens?
    jennalms

Answer by jennalms at 5:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2009