What is the best way to learn about different religions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Do research on the web and read all about the different religions or visit your local churches/ temples or specific places you are interested in.....
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I like www.religioustolerance.org many religions unbiased format.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Studying unbias websites or books.
    Talking to people who are a part of that faith.

For me, its easier to understand how people think when I hear it from their mouths then a book or two cuz of the interpretation factor. So doing all of those things can help me have a clearer picture.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Cafemom.......j/k
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• There are two WONDERFUL groups here:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/EndReligiousHate
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/unorganizedreligion

Women of many different religions from Christian to Pagan to Atheist (I know it's not a religion, LOL) to Buddhist . . . You can learn a lot from both groups!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Best resource ever:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/

They don't have every book for every religion, but darn close and they're always adding more.  Pick the one you want to read about and go right to their book (s).

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I would recommend reading as many reference books on religion as you can (unbiased sources, like Huston Smith's World Religions, or some other that presents all religions equally, if you get what I mean),

talking with people of other faiths (and there are many groups on here that are great for that),

studying online on unbiased sites (like religioustolerance.org, as was already mentioned, as well as beliefnet.com)

there's a lot of info out there, and many people who are willing to talk about their faith.

=)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I would say from the actual real people following the different religions.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 6:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• beliefnet & religious tolerance

ask the source (meaning the followers)

join groups on here to learn

Join Religious Roundtable or Religious Debate. You don't have to debate if you don't want to, but you could learn a thing or two from the followers on those groups. Look for people that are educated in those groups, Some of it's BS but when you pick through the BS you find some really informed ladies that have no problem teaching you a thing or two.

The Idiot guide books if you want a basis of information. Encylopedia's are a good source (just not wikipedia).

Hope that helps and good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Have an open mind
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2009