First day of school. Who cried when their child went to class? What change have you noticed in your child from last year.

First day of school today. My son is now a big 2nd grader. Gosh time is flying by. When he was in kindergarten I loved that he would hug me and not want me to leave. Today it was very different. We are in a new part of town, new home, new school, so that means new students and new teachers for my son. While I like fresh starts I think I am more nervous about this year that my son is.

We went to his class, put up his supplies, backpack and lunch box. We really like his teacher, she seems very nice and Connor commented on how pretty she was. He didn't cling to me this year as he has in the past but he did sit at his desk and put his head down when I was leaving. I miss the time when he was still tiny enough to scoop in my arms and cuddle. Those days are long gone. He is such a big boy now.

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 1:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in

• Mine started school last week. The older 2 said good bye and jumped in the truck to head to school. No tears, of coarse the oldest is a senior and the second one is a sophmore. The morning was not over yet, we had to do the little guys. I made it to the 2nd grade playground with a big hug, kiss and a few sniffles. Then off to the kindergarden playground, that is where the tears started. When my baby boy hugged me and said I love you mommy. I wanted to grab him and run, but he said watch me play until I have to line up. They grow up sooo fast.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 9:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• OMG mine is going to middle school tomorrow I can't believe he is a 7th grader sniff snifff, yes time goes by way to fast and it can't understand where all the time has gone since he was in kindergarfen... As far as changes..... his voice is getting that squeek to it ha ha and when we went swimming a week or so he has hair under his arms and he locks the door when he is in there.....OMG he is getting older way to fast for me ....sniff sniff
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 1:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I jumped for joy. But mine are 14 and 16 lol.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 1:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I cried when all three of my kids started school and there were four years between kids. But I didn't cry after that til different graduation days. Plus college graduation I was wailing away too. But as ds grows your tears will be more of pride of so many tiny and smaller accomplishments in life, not only academically.

The partings as kids grow gets easier, It does.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• With our oldest I cried for 2 weeks when he started kindergarten(he's 13 now), our middle son started kindergarten last yr and he was ready to go, he loved school, he didn't even look back. This yr our youngest started kindergarten and he's all smiles. It makes me tear up when he gets on the bus, but he just turns and waves. I'm just thankful they are all together on the bus and our oldest watches over them. We live in a tiny community out in the country so everyone takes care of each other.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I cried with my oldest two (17 and 18)...big buckets of tears, my oldest ripped my clothes off me but my next just said BYE and cared less that I left. The next two (17 and 15) brought tears to my eyes, but wasn't so bad. Then the next one (7) was real easy, not a tear in sight. This year my next one started kinder, she said good bye and I was also good, not a tear, and then the teacher handed out these little bags with and apple and poem for the parents, the basic idea of the poem was "don't cry wipe your eye's I promise to love your DD as my own, and wipe away her tears, and about how she has been in our spot with her child and knows how hard it is" it's a little longer then that.....but that brought tears to my eyes, not once but also when I was trying to read it to my friend.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Mine started 4th, 2nd and 1st grades today. There were no tears from any of us. My 1st grader was a little nervous but went into school with all smiles. The only one I hugged was my 4th grader because her class was the last to go in so I gave her a big hug and embarrassed her in front of her friends, lol. Then we left before the class even went into the school. I've never walked any of my kids into school on the first day. They line up in the parking lot and the teachers walk them in. My 4th grader could barely carry her bookbag and bags of supplies (they weighed almost as much as she did) but she survived the walk up the stairs.
    I picked them up at 11:30 and they were all excited to tell me about their first day. I've never cried when any of them started school in any grade. I've never been anything but excited for them. And relieved they were in school, lol. Me and my 3yo went to the store for donuts afterward.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2009