Any advice on how to get my dd to go to bed earlier?

My dd is 3 months old today. Her current sleep schedule is from about 11pm-9am. She gets up around 5 and 7 to nurse. I'd love it if I could get her to bed earlier... I decided a while ago I'd start trying once she was 3 months - so here I am! Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks :)

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 1:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Move everything up by 10 minutes for a day or two then move it up again by 10 minutes...just remember that even though she is going to bed earlier doesn't mean that she will sleep any later...so if she's sleeping 10 hours now from 11-9, if you get her to bed by 9, she may be up by 7
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Don't let her sleep as long during the day if she takes naps. Also wake her up earlier. Then the time you want her to sleep lay her down and let her cry her self to sleep if thats what it takes. It won't hurt her to cry. It will wear her out.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 1:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• She's only 3 months old chances are if she goes to bed any earlier she will probably wake more during the night... At 3 months old my son was going to bed at 11-12pm and waking up at 6:30-7am every morning.

KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My dd kept the same schedule at 3 months. Why do you want her to go to bed earlier? If you think it would be better for her that is not necessarily so. If it is for you (which is a good reason), realize that you are getting 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep which is a good thing. Moving things around might cause you to lose this. At 3 months DO NOT shorten her naps. She needs to sleep; that WILL make bedtime worse!

another suggestion: At her evening feeding, do the things you would normally do to put her to sleep for the night. When you are ready for bed, wake her up and feed her again. This will help her sleep longer for you.

Eventually my daughter modified her sleep pattern at her own pace. from 11 to 10 to 9 PM. Now at 20 months she sleeps from 8 PM - 8 AM. Love it!!
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 1:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I agree with first poster. The sleep times will shift slowly but the actual schedule will stay the same. 10-15 minutes is about as quickly as you can shift at this age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• **OP**
    Thanks all - after reading your thoughts I realize that I should probably just be happy that I have a baby that sleeps for 6 straight hours, no matter what time she goes to bed! I am a SAHM so I guess there's no real reason to push her into a different schedule. I might try the advice a few gave about trying to put her down 10 mins early and see how that goes...I'm not ready to let her cry so we'll see. Thanks moms!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Start making her last nap bedtime. That's what we did with mine. She would usually nap around 5:oo or 6:00 and so when she started getting sleepy, I decided that was her new bedtime. It worked for us.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't think keeping her awake during the day has anything at all to do it. This is the perfect age to start her going to bed around 7 or 8 (you can start with 8 and move backwards if you want). Just establish a consistent routine full of calming, enjoyable things for her, and she'll ease right into it. If you already had a bedtime routine, stick with it and just change the hour. If not, try something like bath (whether she needs it or not -- babies this age and a little older really start enjoying baths; it doesn't have to be long, but is a great trigger for getting calmed down for bed), then pj's, keep lights low, read a book and then sing a song then nurse or give milk... We did this with both our girls and the were always game to go to bed whenever we did the routine, even if they had had long, late afternoon naps and bedtime started soon after. It also helps them learn to soothe themselves to sleep easier in a few months
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2009