Do you really notice how people are paying for their groceries when you are in line at the grocery store?

I see so many posts about people buying this or that with food stamps, people asking others if they get annoyed when someone in front of them are buying "junk food" with food stamps. Are they really paying that much attention to the person in front of them that they know they are using food stamps? to my knowledge, food stamps come on a card that looks like a debit card so how do others know the difference when the person in swiping their card. And if someone IS paying that close attention to how others are paying, maybe they are the ones with the problem! I'm usually to busy watching my kids or making sure I bought everything to pay attention to the people in front of me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't usually notice unless it is taking a long amount of time for some reason. I could care less how people are paying b/c we live in the country and have to travel to go grocery shopping- and it is a 3+ hour affair and my kids are usually ready to revolt by this point, so I am just trying to keep them entertained for that last stretch LOL.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 2:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i'm with you, idc what the ppl in front of me are doing, i'm busy with my kids & unloading the cart
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I never notice. I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever seen anyone pay with WIC or fs, nor do I notice the contents of their carts.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I do sometimes , But I just always notice everything around me .I couldnt careless tho what you are paying with ,.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Just like you have to tell the cashier whether it's credit or debit, you have to tell them it's EBT (which is food stamps). And as far as WIC, if the cashier doesn't do a lot of them they usually have to have the manager come over and sign off on them - so it's pretty obvious, especially if you go to a high end grocery store where they don't do them much.
    I don't usually ever notice because I have at least one child with me, but I was on WIC for a while right after I separated from my ex and I always felt VERY conspicuous, like everyone was watching/judging me.

Answer by missanc at 1:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Only when they write a check. It takes much longer especially if they wait to get the checkbook out after everything is ran up. I don't get behind elderly women very often because they are the most likely to write them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I notice! Sorry... I look in people's cart to see what they are feeding their family and I do notice if someone is using WIC checks because it takes so long in line when they are in front of me.
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 1:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't pay attention to how people pay, and usually don't notice what they buy either, but one of the posts today was about crowds and I do sometimes notice the store is really crowded, and then it's the first or 15th of the month or something and I think "you idiot, why didn't you go yesterday/tomorrow when it's not so crowded?"
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i certainly look at what people buy, how they pay, etc... why not? it also gets me going when they have to separate the food stamp stuff out or pay 2 ways for whatever reason. i honestly respect the person more when you see them paying with a check, cash --- the actually have the money .... a card is a different story, they could be just using debit or they could be charging up their debt, i don't know, not my business at all. but before even getting into the line i look at how they have their things on the belt, if they are organized that is better because the bagging with be easier.  also better if they have less stuff!!  and i dont think there is anything wrong with observing what is happening around you ---  it is call PEOPLE WATCHING..... people are inherently interested in people, the social nature of mammals i guess....

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Ok I just asked my sis who uses fs and she said nobody notices when she uses EBT because on the pad where you swipe your card, there is an option to choose EBT, debit or credit so she doesn't have to say whether she is using EBT. I think people pay too much attention to others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2009