Ever wake up and realize "wow, I screwed up"

I'm 21 years young, a high school drop out working dead end jobs and have a baby boy due anyday now. Its like I had an out of body experience seeing my son 15 years from now saying "you did it why can't I" I want to give my son the world and I can't because of the mistakes I made. dropping out, my HORRIBLE past, the men I choice, now Im gonna be a single mother on top of it. Thank god, I have the family support I need to get me throu this.
I woke up today, and I regestered for school, Im GOING to do it this time, I can't give up, I have to do this, not only for myself, but for my son.
Any words of wisdom....or motherly advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You've realized what you have to do, so just stick with it! I went through the same thing, I was a single mother at age 18, also a high school drop out. I knew that I was going to have to support us, no ifs, ands or buts about it. I got my GED, went back to school and graduated with a job in the medical field. It will be hard but you have the support of your family and just keep in mind that it will all be worth it in the end. You will be able to support your child. And now you have the knowledge to tell your child in the future, "Yes I screwed up. That is why I am trying to stop you from making the same mistakes I did. Because I know first hand that it makes things ten times harder then it needs to be." Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• You can do It, I was 15 when my son was born and I signed up for online classes and finished school almost a complete year early with a newborn, you can do it, just think of your boy when times get hard.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Way to go it sounds like you are on top of things and know that you didn't always make the best choices in the past but know they are in the past and just keep being on top of things and the rest will come. Sounds to me like you are already on ur way....Good Luck Mama
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It's not too late. Get your GED, that's the best you can do for yourself.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• You can always make the most of the present to better the future.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Please please please get your GED or highschool diploma. My husband works for the state government and has a lot of temps working in his unit. When it comes time to hire he always wants to hire some temps but can't because they don't have a GED or HS diploma. This will open so many doors that I don't think a lot of people think about. Good luck and stick too it.
    mrsmendoza2006

Answer by mrsmendoza2006 at 2:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Yeah! You should be very proud, It is never to late to better yourself.clapping

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 2:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Well, statistically speaking , you're right, children of single mothers often become single parents themselves. But...I have never, ever let statistics stop me. I'm the first one in my family to graduate college and get a Master's degree. I"m the first one in my family to leave my nowhere, dead-end town and make something of myself and I am a minority woman. I say, statisitcs don't mean shit, it's all about how much resolve and determination you have. School is all about showing up and filling out paperwork. It's not that it's intellectually demanding, it's just that most people don't show up and put in the time. Use your son as an incentive to do better and rise above your situation. I always used my younger sister as incentive to do better and to set an example and I have successfully done that. You can do the same. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Congrats for taking that step!! Finish up and just continue to set a good example for your son as he grows up. I would highly suggest once you complete your diploma/GED, go on and sign up for some online college classes.
    You can do it, it wont always be easy, but in just a few years you will have armed yourself with something so valuable and something that no one can ever take from you... An education. It can open so many doors for you and for your son..
    Good luck!
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 3:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2009