Is a 5 year old too old to be riding in a stroller?

So..I bought a double stroller years ago when I din't have a car and I had just had my youngest daughter. Now my girls are 4 and 2 and I'm trying to get rid of things I don't know if I'm going to need it in the future for trips. Should Ihave her walk or keep it and use it only if she gets tired?

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 1:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sorry but if you are ok with it and the kiddos are ok with it then let kiddo ride it is totally up to you who cared what people say....
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 1:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My kids are 5 and 6 and my husband lugs them in the stroller. I tell him they look too old in it but oh well. We walk miles a day.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My middle DD is almost 5, and when her sister was born last year, I bought a double stroller that she rode in. She's very petite, so it worked out well.

As long as your child hasn't maxed the weight limit on it, keep it!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It just depends on the stroller and if it's designed to hold the weight of your 5 year old. Walking is great exercise for any kid, but they do get tired and tend to dottle some times. So it can be usefull to have the stroller too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I agree, if you are going somewhere you are going to be doing alot of walking, it will come in handy when they get tired and want to be carried! Let them walk but if they become tired and there is still some walking to be done, they can jump in the stroller. I do think to use it all the time though is probably a bit much for a 5 year old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• What I did was get rid of the stroller, but bought one of those cute little tikes wagons for her to ride in if we walked and she got tired.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• thank you ladies just what I was thinking. Yeah she prefers to wak but sometimes she gets tired and I love when she's able to tell me she's tired and we can put her in the stroller for her to sleep! I just didn't know if I would be promoting "lazyness" like some people say. It;s a graco stroller my daugher is pretty petite as well but I will definetly follow the weight capacity!
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 1:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• age wise yes but if she tiny I think she can get away with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I carry my double stroller with me. My youngests are 7 & 5 I don't use the stroller for basic walks, but I do use it in the mall. My kids start out walking and get bored so they will climb in the stroller to play games or toys, this allows for stress free shoping a plus for everyone around us. Another use for a double stroller is to put the little one in and bags or coats on the extra seat.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 2:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My 5 year old doesn't rid in the stroller much any more...but when we've been walking a LOT (more than 3 miles) or if he's a little sick, he takes turns with my 3 year old.

I'm trying to sell my triple jogger and not having any luck. I'm still using the double, and if a short walk the single for my 2 year old. My goal is to have it down to just the single next summer.

Watch the weight limit on the stroller. That's the only limitation I can think of. My triple jogger has a limit of 125lbs (all three still well under that totaling 116) and my double can handle 150.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2009