Does this sound like it could be autism?

I was just wondering if you could tell me your opinions on my sons behavior we have taken him to his dr and to a speech therapist and no one seems to have a answer yet. He just turned 2 this month and has no speech at all. All he does is grunt and point at what he wants. He use to have a handful of words like mama, dada, moon, nana, and he just stopped using them he says nothing now. When he wants something and you don't know what it his he punches himself in his head really hard or he will head butt something. He use to be a very social kid and just within the last 2 weeks he has gotten to wear he just sits by himself. He has gotten really attached lately and throws the worse tanturms when you try to leave him throwing himself on the ground banging his head on the ground. We took him to his dr and he sent us to a speech therapsit our first visit was last Tuesday and now we are just waiting to see if our insurance will approve

bumblebee_abby

Asked by bumblebee_abby at 2:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Wow. I have absolutely no knowledge of this, but that's what my thought would be also. Unless it is a hearing problem, perhaps, which could explain the frustration.

Answer by Bmat at 2:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Opps I forgot to add we got his hearing tested today and they said it is fine
    bumblebee_abby

Answer by bumblebee_abby at 2:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Have they run a blood test? DS lost speech, started sitting in corners etc. Turns out his iron was EXTREMELY low, so low that his brain was being starved. Honestly, they will run all the medical tests before giving you an eval for anything, so get through all that first, then start looking at what else it could be.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I wanted to add, so that you don't freak, we got his iron count up and now he is advanced for his age, so he just picked up where he left off and is doing just fine.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• yes they did an iron test at his 2yr check up
    bumblebee_abby

Answer by bumblebee_abby at 2:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• yeah it does sound like it.... or ED (emotional disturbance) i would take him to a neurologist to check the autism thing. those are all symptoms.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Then it is time that they start looking into a developmental pediatrician and start getting him evaluated. A dx can take months, even years to get right, so be patient and try not to worry too much (I know that is almost impossible).
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• thanks everybody for your help!
    bumblebee_abby

Answer by bumblebee_abby at 2:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It sounds like it could be on the spectrum.  I agree with looking for a dev. ped.  My ds has HFA and it can show in many different ways.

http://www.autism-society.org/

Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 2:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• If you call Early Intervention, you can get evaluations and speech therapy for free.

The rest...I would check with a developmental pediatrician. I'm not saying it sounds like autism, but I'm saying if there is "something" there, the developmental pediatrician is the one to see....and if there isn't anything there, then you'll find that out, too!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2009