period after new baby

my baby is now 4 and half months old and i still havnt had a period. Iam breastfeeding so does that play a part in when you may start your period again? Im not pregnant my husband and i are using protection plus iv taken a pregnancy test.
when did you start your period again? where you breastfeeding or bottlefeeding when it happened?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• About the time we started introducing solid foods is about the time I started my period again. As long as you are nursing regularly it is not uncommon for your period to not return.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I didn't start my period again until I stopped breastfeeding at 13 months. It started within about 2 weeks of me weaning my son. It's nothing to be concerned about -- just enjoy it while it lasts :)
    muse76

Answer by muse76 at 2:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I bf both of my kids and did not get my period until they were 6-7 months old. I have a friend that bf who did not get her period for over a year. Your period can be held off by breastfeeding, but remember that even I you are not bleeding you might still be ovulating so make sure you still use birth control.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 2:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I am breastfeeding and my dd is 3 months old. I had a period 4 weeks after I had her but not since. My friend b/f and she didn't have a period for over a year! It's different with everyone but most women who b/f will not have regular periods...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• That's totally normal for breastfeeding, as breastfeeding can (though doesn't alway) prevent ovulation. Just keep using protection and enjoy the break. I was one of the unlucky ones, I got mine back at 6 weeks with each of my daughters, while nursing around the clock!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It really depends. The more you breastfeed exclusively, the more likely it is that your periods will wait to come back. With my first, I introduced solids at 6 mo, and my period came back when he was 14 mo old. He self-weaned when he was 22 mo. With my second, I introduced solids at 8 mo, he self weaned at 29 mo, and my period came back around 18 mo.
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2009