Did you know "Roman" was actually an insult from protestants to Catholics

This is quickly growing into a pet peeve of mine. A priest was talking about the Roman Catholic Church. We are all members of the Catholic Church, there are different rites in the Catholic Church but we are all in union with Rome. If you call us "Roman Catholics" you exclude Eastern Catholics.

I just read an answer that list "Roman Catholics" as an answer

if your pastor, priest, deacon, brother, sister or next door neighbor says "Roman Catholic" You now have one piece of trivia they might not know and some priest don't even know.

Trust me there are a lot of Catholics that don't know "Roman" started out derogatory.

drink-lover

Asked by drink-lover at 2:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am not even sure what to say to you Novemeberlove other than it is not called the Roman Catholic Church. It is the Catholic Church and since I made it clear even priest make this mistake I am sure I have lived up to your expectation and "Those hard feelings should be done away with; it's time for us to move on"
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 3:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Protestants view the word "Catholic" differently than Catholics do, I believe. It's not necessarily an insult when we use it (at least now). Those hard feelings should be done away with; it's time for us to move on. Erin (who I know won't mind me mentioning her name) referred to Protestants as "our Seperate Bretheren" in an answer she gave one time and I thought that was very nice.

When Protestants say "Catholic" in our creeds and such, we are referring to the "universal church," the entire body of Christ, all denominations and groups of Christians who profess Jesus Christ as savior. When we add "Roman" I know at least for us, it is to differentiate the R.C. faith from the Universal body. It's not to be offensive, it's most likely because we define "the body of Christ" a bit different than (Roman) Catholics do.

That was a really interesting piece of history trivia! Thanks for sharing :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Oops, I mean NOW I don't think we use *Roman* (lef that part out in my first sentence lol) as an insult.
    NovemberLove