At your appointments have any of you measured smaller than how many weeks you were?

Today my doctor measured me and I was 32 or 33 cm and I'm 35 weeks so he said he wanted me to get an ultrasound at my next appointment to see if she is small. I'm really nervous now. Should I be?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 2:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It really frustrates me that some doctors cause mothers to worry. If I was the OB, I would send the mom right over for an u/s if I felt she needed one so that she didnt need to spend a week worried sick about the size/health of her baby!!

Even though both my kids measured almost EXACTLY on in their u/s (one measured 1 day ahead the whole time and one measured 2 days behind so pretty much as close to my due date as they could get) I measured 3 weeks behind on my belly size with both of them! My doc wasnt concerned at all and blamed it on positioning of the babies

MommyKKay...
    She means that her uterine measurement (where they measure with the measuring tape) is measuring small, not the baby. I am assuming you are talking about your baby measuring small on an u/s because I have NEVER heard of doc's determining dates based on a uterine measurement
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• its ok dont be worried.
    i stoped growing at around 33 wks i measured 33 weeks till i was delivered at 38wks. he was alittle on the small side he weighed 6lbs but he was 2 weeks early to so had he gone full term to 40wks he probably would have been atleast 7lbs.
    some babies are just small and that doesnt mean there are health issues. She may just be alittle smaller then the average baby.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Im 37wks and I measure 34-35 cm. and my baby,They said. is average size. Its okay if u arent exactly the "size" of ur week. b/c every women is different, u might of been smaller then other women b4 u got pregnant. as log as the baby is growing and healthy then dont worry

P.S.
    on the u/s they are just an estimate, ur baby can be either bigger or smaller.
    My sil was told her whole pregnancy that her baby was really small. and then the baby came out and she was over 9lbs. So dont relay too much on that u/s, just for the heartbeat and breathing
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son measured smaller a couple times, then they just changed my due date.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 3:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Doctors annoy me. They stress the hell out of pregnant women. My OB had me going for weekly level 2 u/s for this. Even the u/s kept coming back that the baby was small...the perinatologist told us the baby had IUGR (intra uterine growth retardation) and short bones. Baby was born and was fine - no IUGR and no short bones. Oh and the entire time I kept telling them they had my due date wrong and that it should be a week later by my calculations yet they refused to change it.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 3:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My measurements were small through my whole pregnancy at least I stopped growing at 32 weeks and they worried me for awhile, my little man is now 19 months old and happy and healthy everything was fine when I had him. The did several u/s in the end of my pregnancy, just gave me a chance to see my baby a lil more before he came into the world and he came in at 6lbs 12 ounces, no doubt smaller than my daughter was but still big enough. He is short now, recently went from the 5th percentile for his height to the 25th percentile so he is catching up. Hope this helps & dont worry your lil one will be just fine.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2009