How can I get my 5 month old daughter to sleep through the night??

Hi, I am looking for advice on how to get my daughter to sleep through the night? She goes down around 8pm after her last feeding of about 6 oz of formula (and we just started pureed baby food, she will eat a whole small 2 oz jar! she is a very big girl, not overweight, just tall and big) and her warm bath and then she is sleepy so i rock her until she is just about to fall asleep and then i put her in her crib and she goes down no problem, but she will only stay asleep for about 3 or 4 hours at a time before waking up and screaming her head off! i offer her a bottle throughout the night when she wakes up, thinking she is still so young so maybe she is hungry? yet she is not hungry, she will take one drink of her bottle and fall back to sleep? sometimes I can get her to calm down with her pacifier but not always.. also, she does have two teeth and before teething, she would sleep for 6 hours at a time without waking up?

NewMomKelly

Asked by NewMomKelly at 2:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• swaddle her?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i have tried to swaddle her but she is one of those babies that just like to stretch out and can always get her arms out of the swaddle, also, she rolls over from back to belly now and i am terrified if i swaddle her she will roll to her belly and not be able to roll back to her back and that she might not be able to breathe?

NewMomKelly

Answer by NewMomKelly at 2:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We had to do CIO with mine/ She was waking every 3 hrs. like clockwork. Our Doc. confirmed that she didn't need to eat that much, so one night I decided not to feed her before at least 5hrs. had passed. She woke up right on time after 3 hrs. and my Dh and I took turns going in to pat her back to sleep. THis took about a good week of breaking her and now she sleeps through the night. It sucks and the first few nights are miserable, but it works. My DD started sleeping through at 5 mos.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I'd give it some more time. 5 months is pretty young for sleeping through. I'd give her a few minutes each time to see if she can work it out herself, but don't let her "cry it out" or anything at this age. You may be able to just go in and comfort her a bit, and soon enough she'll be able to do it on her own, especially if she's not taking milk.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• At this age if she isn't sleeping through the night she probably just isn't ready and there isn't much you can do to help her. It seems like you are doing everything right as far as a bed time routine. The key is to put them to bed awake so when they wake at night they can soothe themselves to sleep. From you post is seems like you are doing that already.
    My son didn't sleep through the night until he was 11 months old! And trust me, we tried EVERYTHING!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Oh, my friend used the method we used and her daughter also started sleeping through after about a week.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• She's actually pretty darned close...five hours is sleeping through the nightl. Dusk to dawn generally won't happen in year one on any regular basis.

Go find a copy of "The No Cry Sleep Solution" or look up Elizabeth Pantley online...her methods will help.

CIO advicates say not to do it before six months.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• well i have a 8 month old and he started sleeping through the night at about 3 months but now he has two teeth and it was really hard to get him to sleep through the night agian after he started teething.. so after i would do his usual rotien i started to freez wet wash cloths and let him suck on them and teeth for about 20 min befor putting him in his crib to sleep and now he sleeps all night agian... i think is just helps sooth his gums
    savii_babii09

Answer by savii_babii09 at 3:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• do you give her a binky at night?...maybe that will help keep her teeth soothed during the night, if she will take one...also, 4 hours straight is pretty good for a 5 month old..at this age a baby just wants to be near mommy at night, for security...my baby sleeps in his carseat next to our bed (he only likes to sleep elevated) and if he begins to fuss i just give him my hand and he falls back asleep, if he was truly hungry he would wake up...ist like he just wants to know i'm there
    Kimra

Answer by Kimra at 3:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• wait another 5 months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2009