OK, seriously, did I do something wrong here....

So, going in and out of airports for 2 days I met ALOT of people. Well one lady had this cute little dog with her, but it's tongue was hanging out the side in a way that dogs do when they are sedated. So I said, "cute dog, is she ok, I mean her tongue". This lady got so mad, said, "Would you walk up to someone's kid and ask that question? This is my baby, I hold her like a baby, I love her like a baby, she's my baby." Umm, sorry, but she is a dog, and I love my dogs, don't get me wrong, but it seems like she was humanizing this dog. This dog was so important you couldn't even politely ask if something was wrong. WHICH by the way, I HAVE asked other parents, when I notice something MIGHT be wrong, if their child is OK. So, my answer would have been ummm, YES. BUT, I was honestly too stunned to really say much except, "uh, she's a dog. But sorry if I offended you" Seriously though, did I really do something that bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pets

• Well....may I interject just one second? I am asking nicely. *Smile* Here is my take on the situation. Perhaps the lady in the airport was on edge. Airports will do that to a person from time to time with all of the delayed flights, waiting here and there, gads of people everywhere, and in addition this particular lady was toting an animal. Perhaps she was feeling a bit testy from her adventures at the airport and snapped more than she would have on any other day. Not entirely sure, as I do not know her. But one thing that occurs to me with her pet is the fact that it may have indeed been partially sedated to calm it not only in the airport, but in flight as well. Just a thought. Personally, I may have mentioned that I thought her dog cute, but I would never have dared to talk about the tongue sticking out. Maybe the dogs tongue always sticks out....I have known some dogs whose tongues were so long that they would
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Probably should have minded your business. But she sounds like she was over the edge a bit.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Personally I don't think so. However, I do know that there are people that put their pets above others. My pets are more important to me than the average joe down the street, but I think that's normal. However, my mom had a Yorkie that I would swear up and down she loved more than she ever did my brother or myself. This dog was her baby and she treated her as such. Quit pathetic actually.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• You're nosy and she overreacted.

And really? You ask parent's if there's something wrong with their kids?? If someone ever asked me that I'd put them in their place in a hot minute. Makes me think you need to start minding your own business if you don't like the reactions you get for your nosy questions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Let me explain about the kids, seriously. This guy was in the park with his boys, my daughter took one of the boys toys, so I told her to give it back and that was rude. The father said, "he doesn't care, it's fine" Well, as I was explaining that it wasn't fine that she did something wrong and needed to fix it, he kept insisting that his son didn't care. So yes, I asked, "Is he autistic?" I had noticed the signs but didn't say anything until it was pertinent. He told me that his son was autistic and that is why his son didn't care. Same thing when I was teaching sunday school. The mother didn't mention it to me, but I did notice signs when I was teaching the class and asked. She confirmed my suspicions. So yes, when appropriate I will ask.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Wow. My daughter is laid back and doesn't care if another kid takes her toy. She is not at all autistic, but yet you would find it appropriate to ask me if she is because she doesn't have a melt-down if another kid takes her sand shovel? How is it considered appropriate for you to ask of a child is Autistic?

I'm starting to agree with the others...you're nosy and you should mind your own business.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• she's sounds just as bad as a crazy cat lady! i don't think it's a big deal, i mean it is JUST a dog.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 2:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Allaboutkeely---if you notice, I did put that I had noticed signs, not ONE sign, but signs, as in multiple, and the father insisting on not holding my daughter accountable bothered me. My dd is autistic, so I do recognize the signs in other autistic children. None the less, some may consider that nosy. I can understand that. Really I do. Even so, that has little to do with the original question I posted.
    Honestly, I can't understand why someone would get so offended, even if you considered it nosy for me to ask, (which I can't deny, as I had been in airports for over 24 hrs. at the time and miserable just looking for ANYONE to talk to). Does that justify the attitude this lady had about her dog. I mean honestly, it seems a little overboard to me. Would she have gotten upset if i asked what breed the dog was, if this was her child, that is like asking what race a child is? To me it just seems a bit of an overreaction.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I think I'm with AllAboutKeely. If you admit the questions you ask are a bit nosy and you don't like the reactions you're getting, that should be a CLUE to stop asking those kinds of questions. LOL That will solve the problem. Some people can't get over the nerve some people have to just walk up to total strangers asking questions that are none of their business (whether it's about a dog, child, personal it doesn't matter).

"Honestly, I can't understand why someone would get so offended, even if you considered it nosy for me to ask" You just answered your own question. You're alienating people with your rude and nosy questions. It's called "social cues" and you're totally missing them. If you want to keep pissing people off and getting that reaction, by all means continue but don't act shocked when you get that reaction.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Anon :57 That is the point though. I usually DON'T get that kind of reaction because I usually do things very politely. I thought I was polite about it, but I was awful tired so I may have to concede that it may have come off as rude. And the way I posted it, I just looked seems like I said one after the other, but I didn't. I was sitting next to her petting her dog for a few minutes before I asked. She offered for me to pet the dog, and had no issue with that, but as soon as I asked about the tongue, well, that kind of set her off. The examples I gave of the two kids that I said something to the parents actually seemed relieved when I said something. They weren't offended in any way. That is why I posted the question. IF this had happened before then you are right, I would have known, I just really didn't think that asking about a dog that I was petting and had already spoken to the owner who seemed quite cont.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009