started solids

our little guy is now starting solids our dr told us we could start him so we did, we introduced avacado first because i read its a great first food he liked it and its now been two weeks and he seems bored with it our dr said we could try new foods 4 to 5 days apart but my mother in law insist we wait a month between each. how long did you wait? he seems to not like avacado no more its like hes tired of eating it every day cant say i blame him lol.

Jaxsmommy09

Asked by Jaxsmommy09 at 2:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My ped told me to wait 2-3 days between new foods, so after two weeks you're more than ready to move on to other veggies, cereals, or fruits.

Answer by missanc at 2:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• With my son we started foods at 4 months. We started with rice, we waited a month and started avocado and then waited about 2 weeks and did applesauce. After he was 6 months old we did new foods every 3-4 days. My pediatrican suggested with foods started before 6 months you should do one cereal, one fruit and one vege and stick with those until they are 6 months. We used avocado as a vege because it tastes more like one than a fruit.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• You only have to wait a few days. Dunno where MIL got that idea but it's NOT needed.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• the longest you have to wait is a week...that's it....the reason for it is to make sure he doesn't develop an allergy to that specific food...if you introduce more than one food in a week it can be difficult to figure out which food caused the reaction...but waiting longer than a week is not necessary!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 3:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We did three days with each new food. I've never heard of a month for each food! It would take FOREVER to try them on all the foods out there!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• MILs are out of touch with this stuff. Good to stick to real food rather than jarred. 2-3 days in between foods is sufficient. Try banana next! Carrots are also really easy to cook and puree, as are peas, spinach, sweet potatoes, pretty much whatever you're eating for veggies and later meat. I used to just take what we were eating, microwave it to get it mushy, and throw it in the blender with some EBM. With my second, I waited and went straight to mashes rather than purees.
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2009