Senior Health Care Bill of the Rights

The GOP is calling for a passing of a bill of rights for seniors to ensure that any health care reform does them "no harm."

The Senior Health Care Bill of Rights is listed at the following link....

http://www.gop.com/News/NewsRead.aspx?GUID=bc1d50c0-5ef7-4026-8db5-efd402b01677

Comments? What do you think about it?

Imogen13

Asked by Imogen13 at 2:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Looks good except for two problems I see:

PROHIBIT GOVERNMENT FROM GETTING BETWEEN SENIORS AND THEIR DOCTORS:

Heh. They ALREADY do that. We call it Medicare.

PROTECT VETERANS BY PRESERVING TRICARE AND OTHER BENEFIT PROGRAMS FOR MILITARY FAMILIES

Preserve it? From what I hear from military families, they'd be better off trashing the current military health care system and starting over again.

Otherwise....looks good to me.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I think it depends on where you are. I have a few friends that are veterans, & live a military life. I know that VA hospital that my friend goes to is AWESOME! He is constantly talking about how wonderful it is. But, maybe he just lucked out?

I think it looks good!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• People complain about Tricare, but I have found that it is actually improving ALOT over time. I have no trouble getting my kids the services they need, even though I know some parents FIGHT to get any help through their insurance (my daughter is autistic). So, Tricare has improved, which is good.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• More rhetoric from the GOP. As Gdiamante touched on, the government is already between most seniors and they're health care and most do NOT complain.

This is just playing up more of the rumors that the elderly will receive poor health care under UHC, and that rumor is widely unsubstantiated.

Unless of course you could use the house or senate bill to back up that rumor, which I know you can't.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 2:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• * SRiveroC
    I don't get how you,( one of the many) who continually dis the GOP for not making their own bills etc etc. and every time you get shown something the GOP is trying to do. You call it dumb ideas and how they are fear mongering. You make NO SENSE! You will never be happy with anything the GOP comes up with let alone do. So next time I will post something the GOP did and say Obama did it and watch you praise praise him for it! It is very apparent that no one but a dem or Obama can do right in your eyes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• LOL, anon :14. So very true!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It is scary that they feel this is even neccessary. Shows our Congress is in a place that it should never have gone. I always wonder - the people passing this will be getting old (if they haven't already), their family will be getting old, and their friends will be too. They may be exempt but family and friends won't be. How do these people feel about what our Congressmen/women are trying to do?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2009