gosh, such a mess. please help!

I will be having a precious baby boy on december 20th & his name will be Bryson Cole :)

Bryson's daddy & I are married & are split up. We're waiting untill i have him to get a divorce.
He says he is going to put up a fight for Bryson & probably will.
He has NO way of proving me an "un-fit" mother in any way. I really don't see how he can get custody when he lives with his sister, who is a bad pot head.
BUT, that's a WHOLE different story.

Anyways, my question is: who gets to decide which last name Bryson gets?(Mine or his daddy's)
I WANT him to have mine, but I don't know the legality of who gets to choose which last name Bryson gets & goes on the birth certificate.

Any info will be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)

brookethomas

Asked by brookethomas at 2:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• the mother gets to decide,some of my sisters named there kids after themselfs.if i was you when u guys do go to court i would say u want he father in babys life,the most he can do is get joint cusadoy,but baby will live with u,dont worry about it to much,he cant take ur baby from u.mabe ur baby will be born on christams,good luck and im sorry
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I think it's his dad's name. BUT, I would call a lawyer if you are really worried as I really have no clue, especially since laws differ so much from state to state.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Call the hospital and ask someone on the maternity floor. I can tell you in Wisconsin after my children were born when it came time to fill out the birth certificate everyone was kicked out of my room so no one could presure me on the name.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 2:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• You get to decide you are the mother, when I had my daughter even though I was married I still had all final say in names, and my signature was asked for everything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I think it might depon the state you live in because I know in TN that if you were married to a guy within the last 6 months then the baby will get his last name. I would get a lawyer and check into it or at least check out your state laws and see.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 2:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2009