Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not sure if im asking this right

How do I go about putting a lien on a possible inheritance? My son is 14 and barely gets anything from his dad he owes me $10k and his parents own 3 houses. I'm sure one day my ex will get something.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Answers (4)
  • Go talk to a lawyer. One should be able to give you some answers.

    Answer by louise2 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

  • You have to file for child support with the state. When the inheritance comes in it will be an asset so you contact the court and tell him. I had to wait 30 yrs to get my child support

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

  • You can report possible assests but until he actually owns them, they cant put a lien on it. What if the parents were to change their will later? That would be like putting a garnishment on a paycheck you haven't yet recieved.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

  • He NEVER stops owing you the money, so no matter how old your child is if you have an order for support that hasn't been paid then you WILL collect your money. There is no way for you to put a lein on property he may own someday, but you better keep an eye on his finances and if he ever comes into a big amount of money, pounce on it.

    Answer by mars33me at 11:21 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.