A few questions for fellow Wiccans

I am Pamela and new to the craft. I have been doing some serious studying the past week to 2 weeks and have done a couple of grounding rituals. But I am left with some questions. I am sure that I could find these on the web somewhere.

Reguard candles:

What is a god/goddess candle?

Do I have to buy my candles from a Wicca store or can I buy the candles anywhere?

Alter candles-are the long, skinny, dinner candles? Are they always white?

Where can I find a list of candle colors for different spells?

If I cast a money spell for myself do I need a petitioners candle?

Alter questions:

Can I use, say a, white cloth with a purple pentagram to connect to pyshic energy?

Can I use any scent od insense or is there specific insense for certain spells? I use, say vanilla, for a healing spell, do I have to use it for every healing spell?

Do I have to use a wand or athame?

palexander

Asked by palexander at 3:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• What is a god/goddess candle?
    These are candles that represent the God and the Goddess. They can be black and white, Gold and silver or other opposite colors as well.

You can buy candles anywhere. But as word of caution i strongly recommend that you try to find natural candles Or at least ones that dont contain lead in the wick.

As far as i'm concerned alter candles can be any candles of your choosing. They dont have to be the dinner candles and they certainly dont have to be white.

The best way is to decide how the colors effect you personally. Does purple make you happy? Then use it accordingly. You can also google candle colors.

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I am no longer a practicing Wiccan, but it sounds like you are new to the Craft :).

I suggest finding a few good books to start you on your way.

If you're a solitary, I think that "Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner" by Scott Cunningham is a really great one to start with.

There are also quite a few wonderful web sites that will help you find your way to the Goddess.
    Good luck to you on your chosen path!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• If I cast a money spell for myself do I need a petitioners candle?
    No. you do not NEED anything extra for any spell. They are just tools to help guide and direct energy. that is all.

Alter questions:

Yes. You can use anything with any color. But again, pay attention to how those colors make you feel.

Just like with colors certain scents will charge your intentions one way or the other, so pay attention to how the smells make you feel.

Do I have to use a wand or athame?
    No. You can direct and guide energy with just your body. But most witches like to use a tool of some kind. I use an athame for now.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• What I love so much about Wicca and Paganism in general is that there is no specific recipe for your craft. You do what feels right and works for you at the time. Life and the wheel are always changing, always rotating and we must be the same. No two of us are alike. I liked the book Wicca: A Year and a Day. It's a book for solitaries (like myself) and has lots of suggestions for getting started with Wicca.

Brightest Blessings to you and yours!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Outstanding Love said some great things.

In the end, what you do is based on how it connects you with the God/Goddess and your intent.

If all you have is white...thats fine. If all you have is some other color..thats ok too. Its the intent with which you use it. Sometimes we cant afford more than a couple of things...kwim?
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Wow. I didn't realize that I can "personalize" everything. From what I read, I got the iimpression that there was certain color with certain things.

Thanks
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 3:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• There are certain colors to be used for certain things/desires/outcomes BUT if you dont have those colors you can substitute what you do have that, to you, represents the same thing.

Like if Im doing money and have no green or white then I might use a silver candle cuz Id think money when I see it to. Or if I dont have blue for healing then I could use green cuz I think of green as health related as well,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Remember that most meanings are general guidelines. For example, you can certainly use gold for a money spell, but I found in the past that green, white, and orange worked just as well for me. It is all about INTENT.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2009