What do you think of moms that stay at home and collect SSI?

I never wanted to be a mom that lived off my kids' SSI. So I have avoided applying for it. We got a call today from my daughter's doctor and he basically beleives a parent should be home all the time with her to surpervise therepy and whatnot. I am torn. I liked working. I wanted to at least parttime.

sweetpea532

Asked by sweetpea532 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I recently had twins, both my boys were 24 weeks gestational age and weighed 1 lb. My first born twin son passed away 5 days after he was born and with the grave of God my only survivng twin son is ALIVE and is now at home after 109 days in the NICU he fianlly came home 3 weeks ago. He is still very small and has alot of doctors appointment because he weighed under 1000 grams he qualified for SSI! There alot more benefits to SSI other than the money so we applyed for it all. I work on the weekend at Best buy and my husband works at UHaul during the week. My son still qualify's for SSI anyways! My son needs special attention and we were told that only my husband and/or I could watch our son since we know when he's ok and we could tell if anything was wrong. I know what you mean, I've always been a busy body! I feel like an indicidual when I work and am able to provide for my family. Still your contributing alot by staying home!
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 5:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I dont think anything bad of mothers who are doing what is best for their children. And if your dd needs you for therapy reasons....then I would do it....

Is there any way you could be super part time....just a day or two a week....?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I would like too. Maybe I could at nite when dh is home. So we could switch off.
    sweetpea532

Answer by sweetpea532 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Moms are on SSI for many different reason, I'm not, but you shouldn't be so judgemental. Don't think less of yourself if you have to do this, and I agree with anon 3:07, try getting a ptime job or working from home something. Sorry you're dealing with health issues they can be very stressful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Why are so many Moms concerned with what someone else thinks? Is there no self confidence anywhere? Any given choice you make SOMEONE is going to piss and moan about it. The best you can do in this life is do the best you can. Stay on top of research and studies to be informed. Nobody else knows you, your kids or your family dynamic. What may be the best decision for me could be a disater for you. Weigh the odds and follow your gut instinct. Do what is best for your kids and your family.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't think it's anybody else's business. You do what you have to do and to hell with what anybody else thinks about it. They don't live your life.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I have actually considered going back to school to start a new carreer,but getting a job would reduce or eliminate my son's ssi. i do not feel I am living off my son. My husband works full time and the money is used to take care of my son and make sure he has everything he needs. so i am actually up in the air, do i go back to school ,get a new job. i don't know how much assistance my son is going to need in the future. he is autistic. if i get a job,my son looses his ssi,that's all i know for sure.
    beckylou26

Answer by beckylou26 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't think anything of it. Some have to, some don't. Worry about your own home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I should add that I liked working too,i worked for IBM for 9 years and i would like to further my education, i just know my son's autism is very demanding. I thought I would be a career mom,but that is not how it has turned out.
    beckylou26

Answer by beckylou26 at 3:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• No offense, but what is more important? Your child or working? I'm sorry but for me I would choose my child. I understand about wanting to work and enjoying working, but I think that if someone told me that a parent should always be with my child then I would do what I have to do to make it happen, and not give a crap what other people thought of me. That's JMHO though...

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2009