How do I clean a wooden windowsill?

My windowsill in above my sink has had some water damage. The wood is not sealed, and it appears that there is mold taking over. Is is safe to spray with bleach? Will doing so and then sealing it prevent the spread of this mold? Thanks for any and all suggestions and comments!

just_the_mommy

Asked by just_the_mommy at 1:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I have a wood peice along my counter and back splash. I have never had mold but I do get water damage and the wood turns almost black. Use a peice of fine sand paper and sand off the area then I use a laquer but my wood is natural. If your is stained you will have to stain then laquer. Hope this helps!
    klpeter

Answer by klpeter at 3:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• When the wood around the glass in a window in one of our rooms got moldy/mildewy I cleaned it with a stiff brush and a half water/half bleach solution, then I left it open to really dry out the wood. I know part of the problem is that it needs to be stripped, painted and re-caulked. If you can't afford to do all that (or don't have the energy) at least clean off all the old caulking and put new caulking on. That'll help seal out any outside moisture that's affecting it.
    singtastic

Answer by singtastic at 4:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2008