3 yr old dd wont sleep with shirt on HELP

my daughter Samantha will be 4 years old in dec. 31st. She will wear her shirt all day but the minute she climbs into her bed she takes her shirt off & she screams if I tell her to keep it on. I've tried to explain to her that little girls need 2 keep their shirts on but she just screams what should I do - have u had this problem?

mama2005

Asked by mama2005 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter, 6, sleeps in just her underwear. I've made the rule, she has to wait until she's been tucked in and the light's off before she can take her clothes off, and she has to put clothes on before she can come out of her room in the morning. Some mornings she gets fully dressed, other mornings she just puts on her robe. It's cut down on the bedtime stress, she sleeps better, and I really don't see a problem with it. It's a good way to introduce and reinforce modesty.
    Making an issue of it only stresses you and her out, making bedtime harder than it needs to be.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 3:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I'd let her pick out some cute pjs...my DD LOVES pretty nightgowns....if that doesn't work, I'd let her sleep shirtless, I'm sure its just a phase any forcing it more and more will make it a bigger problem.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Why not let her sleep like that - whats the issue?
    toastmama

Answer by toastmama at 4:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• is it a modesty thing? i'd get a fan in her room, right on her.... she'd want one then!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I agree with toastmama...what's the big deal. If she is more comfortable without a shirt then why force it?
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Well its not really a big deal or anything I just didnt know if it was common for kids to wanna sleep with their shirts off. I've been babysitting for yrs and my daughter is the first child I have ever dealt with not wanting to wear a shirt to bed.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• she could be getting hot at night. or its could just be a phase. i dont see nothing wrong with it either
    texas_robin82

Answer by texas_robin82 at 7:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• She is a kid!!! It isn't like she is wanting to walk around like that, what;'s the big deal with her sleeping like that? ... I know many adults who prefer to sleep without a shirt, is it wrong? Not at all some are more comfortable like that. She could really hot when she's asleep.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 8:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• She is a kid, let her sleep without her shirt on. What is the big deal? Tell her that when she comes out of her room, she must have a shirt on. My son used to sleep naked at that age. No big deal to me.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• The no shirt thing is a sensory issue, she prob. feels the heat diff. than you or I. I like the PP mom that said just make a rule that she has to put something on b/f she comes out of her bed room.

DO NOT put a fan on her -- that could give her a cold

Neither of my children like to have the sheets on them and I can't sleep without one.
    Diff strokes for diff folks.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2009