Is this what happens when the government is pur in charge of computerizing health records?CODING ERROR?

1,200 veterans wrongly told they got fatal disease???

CHARLESTON, W.Va. – At least 1,200 veterans across the country have been mistakenly told by the Veterans Administration that they suffer from a fatal neurological disease.

One of the leaders of a Gulf War veterans group says panicked veterans from Alabama, Florida, Kansas, North Carolina, West Virginia and Wyoming have contacted the group about the error.

Denise Nichols, the vice president of the National Gulf War Resource Center, says the VA is blaming a coding error for the mistake.

Letters dated Aug. 12 were intended to notify veterans who have Lou Gehrig's disease of disability benefits available to them.

Calls to the VA were not immediately returned Monday.

Lou Gehrig's disease, or ALS, is a rapidly progressive disease that attacks the nerve cells responsible for controlling voluntary muscles.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Oh yeah! Start looking forward to having limbs removed instead of tonsils. You will not believe the errors that occur with in the military data base and that has been established for a while and they make terrible mistakes! Imagine all the "mishaps" that will occure in the beginning computerizing records.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Sorry, I have to disagree. What you don't see is the massive amount of mistakes that happen with paper records. Things like medication rections or misdosing, overlooking important things in your medical history, etc. Often times things are misread because of misspellings or illegible handwriting. Perhaps your doc has your updated medications list but the hospital accidentally recieves an outdated one, causing an interaction or overdose. As someone who worked in the medical field and also someone who has an extensive and complicated medical history I can attest to these things firsthand. There are bound to be mistakes with any system, but computerizing records will cut down on patient death or damage due to mistakes.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 3:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• What do you expect when you have the morons we're calling our government in charge of things? I'm convinced they could screw up a wet dream!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Anon, I do know. My husbands entire medical history was lost when they computerized AD.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't want my medical records available to anyone who works for or can tap into a government database. The chances of lost records, deleted records, or incorrectly cross-referenced records is scary when you look at it in a grand scale. God forbid you have a common name and someone screws up and next thing you know your records show you have syphilis and testicular cancer.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• The VA lost my uncle's records 4 times. He had injury from the Korean War and had to have his pituritary gland "killed" so that he had to take an enormous amount of pills to try to do the job that gland does. His records were detailed and took up a large amount of space. How do you loose something like that 4 times? Government at its best.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Oh. My. God.

Please tell me people will defend this.

Ok, so you like the dems and their crazy non plan. I get it.

So how will you feel when it's run by republicans? Cause the balance of power is like a see saw
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• right, because only the computerized records have ever been the cause of medical mistakes....
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:36 AM on Aug. 25, 2009