what foods do you consider "garbage food/junk food"

what foods do you consider to be junk, garbage foods, that you would never feed to your children??

i personally feed my kids a wide variety of foods and we have days when we eat "junk food" , like hot dogs, chips, sodas,etc..but it is only once in a blue moon and not something we do everyday.We save them kinds of foods for birthdays,etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I think foods like pop tarts, toaster strudels, soda and anything in a box from little Debbie is a waste of money in my opinion and we don't buy them for our kids.

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 3:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• To me junk food is sugary cereals, pop tarts, french fries, candy, anything fried, anything loaded w/cheese.....pop, cakes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• lunchabales, frozen meals, poptarts, most kid cereals, candy...

we offer things like that in moderation though.. some nights if ive been really sick its just easier for daddy to make a tv dinner....

i feel if you make things off limit to kids when they are able to eat it they will go WILD and eat too much
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 4:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We don't eat a lot of stuff because there are better options, nutritionally. Far be it for me to say it's junk, when so many are struggling to put food on the table. That being said, here's what we would teach our DD to avoid.
    Fast food. All of it
    over packaged/over processed foods such as pop tarts, boxed desserts, easy mac, frozen style appetizers like chicken fingers, jalapeno poppers, pizza rolls, potato boats, et al
    Soda pop, and all it's cousins
    pizza(only as a treat)
    chips in their many forms
    most fried stuff
    anything in which you can't immediately name a healthy main ingredient ,ie fried dough

we're not food nazis, just folks on a budget trying to stretch our dining dollars in a healthful direction

Ems629

Answer by Ems629 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Pretty much anything prepackaged. Its so much cheaper to buy the ingredients and make it yourself. I even make my own baby food because it is so much cheaper. i have gerber on hand for travel and days when I am feeling ill or when my husband feeds the babies which is rare. I prefer the taste of fresh fruit and vegetables and we eat in season. We freeze our own veggies and stuff too. I guess being poor as a kid taught me a lot of lessons about how to grocery shop. I save so much money and my friends can hardly believe it when they see what I spend that saved money on!
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 10:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't deny my child or myself any foods, there is nothing off limits, I just eat them or serve them in moderation. A mixture or healthy foods and not so healthy foods are the norm in my house and we are both healthy. My son is actually skinny. I do need to lose weight but that is more from being lazy and not exercising not what I am eating.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We don't allow anything in our house with nitrates, high fructose corn syrup, white flour, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Microwave food, anything loaded with sugar like pop tarts, cookies, candy and fruit snacks should be banned...they do not contain fruit, just cause cavities!....Anything from the soda,chip isle

I do however realize that when your son is like mine who would just rather go hungry then eat good food, I do give in to the hot dogs and chicken nuggets because he is already underweight for his age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Aug. 25, 2009