I am feeling very lost!

Very unhappy at this point of my life. I lost my job over 9 mos ago and still can't find a job that will work out with my three kids. We are in 40 year old house that was NEVER maintained and is falling apart every time we blink. My ex husband is expecting his 5th child and wants the child support he pays me for our 3 reduced. Any one else dealing with this? I feel so alone!

My3RaysofSun

Asked by My3RaysofSun at 3:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Health

• Retail and Waitressing works with you mostly, you can choose Ptime of Ftime. Sometimes you have to do what you don't like. But i'm in a huge mess with my husband and other kids too, and no job and pregnant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• The unemployment rate keeps going up and it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions, though (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others.
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Looking for a job is a full time job, and sometimes you need to be creative and design your own job.
    Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely? If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). For more information, go to www.ivaa.org.
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization, in addition to coaching.
    Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions about resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview preparation.