Too Soon?

As many of you who read my questions know I am a first time mother of a sweet little girl named Gwendolyn. She just turned 12 weeks on Thurs. My husband thinks we should start adding cereal to her formula and start her out on stage 1 baby food.. Our pediatrican said we should wait to start anything until she is 3 months. So since she hit the 12 week mark my husband is pushing me to start her on cereal and baby food.. Is it too early? How early did you start your babies on cereal and baby food? And what kinda food did you try first? A Fruit? A veg? What is a good age to start? And once you start and they take to the baby food, how often should you offer it to them? Before each bottle? Only at bedtime? I'm so lost.

Faeriebrat

Asked by Faeriebrat at 3:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes. its too early. your husband should do research on why you should wait until the 6 month mark to start cereal/baby food. their digestive tract is not ready yet. your milk or formula is all your baby needs.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 4:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• The AP says FOUR months for a formula fed baby to start solids, not three months.

Why is hubby in such a hurry? Cereal and solids often make them sleep LESS.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My ds started on cereal at 2 weeks, this is not the norm!! I think 3 months is a good age to start, that is when we started my dd. I'd start by mixing a couple of spoonfuls of rice cereal with either breastmilk or formula, it needs to be a pretty loose texture. You will be able to tell if she is ready by the way she moves the food back with her tongue. Be patient, it takes them a little time to get used to eating solids. I started mixing in fruit with the cereal at about 4 1/2 months. Introduce new foods slowly, rice cereal can be a little constipating. If you don't choose to go with the rice cereal, you can always try oatmeal.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 4:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• The WHO and AAP say nothing including cereal until AT LEAST 6 months to reduce the chance for allergies. They shouldn't have to GET USED to eating solids. If they are ready then they will make the motions just fine, if they aren't ready they will end up with more on them then in them. They often will make faces even if they are ready because the taste is different, but they still make the correct motions when the food is given. You are NOT supposed to put cereal in a bottle due to choking hazards unless medically necessary due to GERD or some other issue diagnosed by your doctor.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It relly depends on the baby and their independent digetive system, but I started putting a half scoop (formula scooper) of cereal in his bottle once a day or every other day, and it was helpful in filling him up! But make sure the hole in the nipple is big ebough if you do do this! If you think youre baby is ready, do it. If not wait. Daddies can tend to get a little overexcited in their first childs growtrh sometimes!! You just goitta tell him to chill out and you'll do it when you feel comfortable bc you are mommy and you do have more natural insrtinct!
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 1:15 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Solids.htm

the AAP says between 4-6 months. my twins are 3 months and on cereal already but they have reflux and the dr said to start with cereal to help with it.
    katelynsmom22

Answer by katelynsmom22 at 12:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I waited until my daughter was 5 months for cereal and 6 months for jarred foods. Don't rush your baby! And what's your hubby's deal? Doesn't he research anything???? Tell him that he could be HARMING the baby and not helping
    HappyMommy1028

Answer by HappyMommy1028 at 9:57 AM on Aug. 26, 2009