What vaccinations do children really need?

I am expecting my first child and very skeptical about the vaccinations especially with the rising controversy linking them to Autism and ADHD. Looking back at my immunization record I did not receive that many shots and have been made aware that to vaccinate is a choice and not a requirement.

7thdayBeauty

Asked by 7thdayBeauty at 4:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Do your own research and make your own decisions. It is not black and white, or vax or don't vax.
    We choose to selectively vax on a delayed schedule. First vax after first birthday, one vax per office visit, single dose preservative free vaccines, read the insert before allowing the shot to be given.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I havent decided yet. My kids are older but I have decided against any more boosters. My youngest is 3 1/2 so I will be opting out of his 4 yr shots too. I havent decided what I need, but I know what I DONT want. That would be chickenpox, MMR, Rotovirus, Gardasil, Flu (or anything like it), hep b, a or c. Its the Dtap and polio that Im unsure of. I might even decide on them separately as opposed to all in one. Ill know by the time I have to exempt. I just exempted out of my 6th graders shots. I dont even know what she was supposed to have, but I just filled out the forms and turned it in.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 4:06 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• They don't need any.

They just need good nutrition and a good lifestyle.

I would recommend that you look into the different diseases and see what you can do if your child ever got one.

A great book that started me on my journey to looking into this more indepth is Raising A Vaccine Child. Good book.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• they need them ALL.. and they do not cause autism and what not good nutrition ::rolls eyes:: so when they are at a park or school that will keep the diseases away that GOOD NUTRITION haha ya right
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• No the good nutrition will not keep the diseases AWAY, but it will help the child fight the disease with little problem should they get something. My children do not get vaccines because our doctor has recommended they don't due to the reaction that my oldest had at 6 months old. He almost died and the doctor says that there is a 60% any other children I have will have the same reaction! After researching the diseases themselves I have made the choice to not vaccinate at all. Truthfully the only one that worries me is pertussis, but that is the vaccine my oldest had a reaction to. Check out this journal for a good list of what to look for when researching.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1444732/To_Vaccinate_or_Not_to_Vaccinate
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Vaccinating is a very personal choice, some parents are for it, some against. You need to do what you feel is right for your child. If you are worried about vaccines talk to your pediatrician. If you do choose to vaccinate you can ask that they delay vaccines, or give them separately. (for example instead of getting 4 shots at once, get them one at at time). You may want to check out Dr. Sears, he has written about vaccine schedules and has a book about vaccines.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• They don't need any.
    Sending you some info :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• There is NO link between vaccinations, ADHD and/or autism. NONE. The only "controversy" is because the media started the crap but when it was shown there was no link they haven't reported that part of it....no ratings to be had because it doesn't cause a controversy.

My opinion...a kid needs all their vaccinations. Good nutrition will help them keep healthy in general, but it is NOT going to stop them from getting the disease if they pick up the virus.

Vaccinations don't totally prevent the diseases, either, but they do help prevent and if the disease is contracted chances are it will be lighter cases.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• Good nutrition preventing diseases. THat's a good one!

Yeah, tell that to my husband's grandmother who contracted an almost fatal case of polio. Uh-huh. I'm sure she buys that one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• You are going to start a war in here! IMO they need all of them. If I can protect my children against ANY disease, I will do anything in my power to do it!!

There is no DOCUMENTED link between Autism & vaccinations. But even if there was, I would choose to vaccinate my children anyways.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:49 AM on Aug. 25, 2009