any ideas to help a 6 yr old behave better at school?

He is a good kid but he gets silly at school and it gets disruptive. We've been making him sit quietly in a chair after school when he has bad days in the hopes that it will teach him to sit still and be quiet. Of course he has no trouble with it at home. Any ideas that might help teach him that school isn't the place for silly behavior?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 4:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think I would start by talking with his teacher. Find out if there is something she can do immediately when the disruptive behavior starts or see if she has any suggestions for you. It is really hard to work on a behavior when you aren't there to nip it in the bud (I know how frustrating this can be). At 6, I suspect he really isn't the only one, and if he has an experienced teacher she may have some really good ideas for dealing with it without making him hate/dread school. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I really don't think making him come home and sit in a chair is going to help, he does that all day at school. Have him run around and get his energy out. Talk to the teacher about what she or he does when your son is disruptive. You just have to keep talking to him about how important it is to behave in school and not disrupt his classmates while they are trying to learn. Ask him how he would feel if someone kept bothering him when he was trying to learn.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2009