Toy guns, swords, and knives????

Do you allow your children to play with toy guns, swords, and knives?

I understand some parents don't allow these and I respect their choices.

My son has toy guns that when he pulls the trigger the gun lights up, water guns, and foam swords. He isn't allowed to "shoot anyone". My husband word fights with him, but he isn't allowed to just hit anyone with them. Would you let your child come over and play with him???

Just wondering before he has kids come over. Is this something you ask about before your child stays with someone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would allow my son to play with those for the simple fact that no matter what a kid has it becomes a sword or gun. Happened with my younger brother AND all the kids I watched at a daycare. They werent supposed to "play fight" (according to the school rules). And it didnt matter what you did, the moment backs were turned someone was making guns and swords out of legos, blocks, anything they got they're hands on. I've seen a banana turned into a gun lol.If you have a child over or vice versa, you may just want to ask them what they believe. Tho I'm not against it, if someone didnt want their child to play that, I would make sure it was regulated at my house.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I let my son play with those too with similiar guidelines as yours. And for those that freak out over it the only thing I can say is that he plays with his matchbox cars and will do pretend races and crashes too but that doesn't mean he's going to grow up to be a street racer either. People get way too uptight about some things nowadays. Truly people, there are bigger issues in the world. And I think it's silly to think the violence rates today can be traced to what toys these people played with when younger.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't want my son to have toy guns. A friend recently brought over some water guns, but we call them water "toys" (my son is only 2.5)...they will disapear at the end of the summer. When he gets older and wants to go play at other kid's houses I wouldn't ask if you have toy guns, I can handle him playing with those for a short while when he's older, but I would ask if you owned any real guns and that may be an issue for me.
    Anonymous

• I have no issue with it, as one poster said kids just find anything and turn it into a gun or sword, so I would rather be able to use the toy version as a way to teach proper play with them. But not just proper play, but proper handling period.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i ahve no problem with it.. my SO is an avid hunter and gun owner and we will teach the children gun/knife saftey.. as long as real items are kept away..

toys are toys..
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 4:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2009