Federal inspectors threatening to start investigating yard sales and church bazaars??? Really?

According to this article, yes. Anyone else heard of this?

WASHINGTON — If you're planning a garage sale or organizing a church bazaar, you'd best beware: You could be breaking a new federal law. As part of a campaign called Resale Roundup, the federal government is cracking down on the secondhand sales of dangerous and defective products.

The initiative, which targets toys and other products for children, enforces a new provision that makes it a crime to resell anything that's been recalled by its manufacturer.

"Those who resell recalled children's products are not only breaking the law, they are putting children's lives at risk," said Inez Tenenbaum, the recently confirmed chairwoman of the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The crackdown affects sellers ranging from major thrift-store operators such as Goodwill and the Salvation Army to everyday Americans cleaning out their attics for yard sales and bazaars

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 4:06 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.mcclatchydc.com/226/story/74102.html
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I can understand where they are coming from, but I don't think it's likely that they will have the man power or resources to actually seek out every yard sale happening every single day and inspect what's being sold, that's really unrealistic. Not only that but with things like craigslist it's easier to sell things really fast, they couldn't keep up. I don't want children to be in danger any more than the next person, but I also feel it's more the parent's responsibility if they are buying anything used for their child to make sure it has not been recalled and is safe for them to use.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• God knows we have nothing better to spend our money on.
    Dawn4175

Answer by Dawn4175 at 4:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I can think of a dozen other things FEDERAL inspectors should be inspecting.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• If this is true, it is the epitome of micro-managing....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Oh yeah lets drop all the terrorist, murder, child sex slave cases and go get those reselling yard seller bastards!

Oh Oh new headline!
    Obama declares WAR on YARD SALES!

lmfao pathetic!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• wow if the government spent more time actually working on real problems like they are this stupid thing then maybe this nation would be a lot better off. so whats next?, if you use hand me down toys for your other kids you go to jail??
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 4:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Just curious, how did these products get into our country? If they were doing their jobs in the first place we wouldn't even be having this discussion. But I suppose they have to make someone pay, so of course it makes sense to penalize those who have the least (people who depend on garage sales and cheap clothing to provide their children with clothes). It makes total sense. This is how he plans to pay for his health care reform. LOL.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• LOl what the flick? Seriously how pathetic can we get? Can a parent not check things out themselves that they buy for their children? I am so sick of this mess people better start taking responsibility for themselves and their children SICK OF IT
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• This has been discussed before and I see no point in rehashing it. They will not be sending Government Inspectors to garage sales. @@ Please, stop wasting our time with this tinfoil hat stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2009