Is it right that my tax money is going to pay for others bad habits?

So recently I've been really frustrated. Our income is too much to get any help but not enough to make it with no struggle. So its really frustrating when I see how much we pay in taxes and then there are programs like cash assistance where its not regulated what that money is spent on. So people can use cash assistance to pay for liquor and tabacco? I think that this is wrong. Anyone else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• Face to face personal accountability would help in a variety of government sponsored money transactions. You know the ads for the Scooter Store? They appeal to elderly people and are advertized as free to them, but scooters are paid for by current taxpayers. The same with cash for clunkers, government grants, tax rebates, business initiatives, public assitance, medicare. Government involvement makes all these things impersonal. It's no longer the three individuals physically handing support to one person on social security, helping with their rent, paying for their food and clothes, but it's "the government", so somehow it becomes easier to seek more than is absolutely necessary. When in college I didn't think anything of receiving state and federal aid, but now I'm realizing the implications. Plus all this means bigger government, less accountability, and greater inefficiency.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 10:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• did you know that most of the money that goes to PA and that is from the taxes off of cigs and alcohol? the state owns a few of their own liquor stores as well, the majority of our taxes goes to city work fixing potholes ect. (i work for the city of Minnesota personally)
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 4:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i understand what you ae saying, me and dh "make" to much to get any help in anything but we struggle week to week and even on a buget dosent help.they really dont consider what u pay every week ( like cs, rent, insurence, any bills, ) they just think geeze u make x amont a week, they dont think that x amont goes to living xpensives. i couldnt even get help on health insurence..so dh pays 207.00 a week for it. but we make due and do the best we can. as for PA i see it if someone does need help to feed and put a roof over there kids so be it, and just hope they dont spend it on beer when they can feed there kids, also the city needs money to fix roads...thats fine just wish they get to my street already lol..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I have never seen assistance be used for those things, food stamps only covers food and drinks (excluding alchohol), and you can't use food stamps to buy cigarettes or you'd see that more than anything, and I've never seen any assistance program just give you money. Now unemployment is different and I could careless what they use that money on, they were paying taxes before they lost there job maybe it's their tax money they are using.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• There were a few times I recieved a cash assistance check while I was on PA and I had to prove what I spent it on. For example, once I got a check for my electric bill, and I had to bring the receipt back in within so many days or they would make me pay the money back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I'm not sure how it is in every state but in Minnesota you can also get cash assistance ontop of food stamps. Cash assistance is a program where they cut you a check to help out with other things like gas, clothes, electric, so on. So they don't know what you are spending it on. You could spend it on liquor or tobacco. I know that this is probably a small amount the the gov is spending but it adds up. Then its frustrating when we have tons of medical bills because we have to pay for insurance because we make just enough so we can get any help. So the gov needs to work on this issue so its not so hard on those people who are trying to work and make it by having a job. A lot is handed to people who don't want to work and I think that its unfair.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I totally agree with you. I'm in the same situation. I know my neighbor is on food stamps. She shouldn't be living in such a nice neighborhood if she can't afford to buy her own food. Yet, we don't qualify cause we make too much money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• You people that bitch and moan sooo bad about how people get approved for things, really need to research how it works....people get over, there will always be someone who gets over or finds a loop hole in something. would you trade shoes with someone who qualifies for PA..probably NOT, so just give up complaining about it!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• quit workin n u wont have to complain about assistance anymore
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• You don't "just get" assistance....you have to be doing some form of work in order to receive anything....whether it be going to school or doing volunteer work or actually working. I'm a single mother....I work and pay taxes and also receive public assistance...and guess what....I use it to pay my bills and keep a roof over our heads, feed my child, and put gas in my car.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2009