Enoch created a 'Golem'?

There is an ancient legend among the Jewish people...

The story the rabbis tell is that long ago someone discovered how Adam was formed and tried to duplicate the work of creation by molding "clay" into a giant man and animating it by pronouncing the sacred name of the Almighty. Satan then entered into this soul-less giant and gave it a kind of life. This giant was a "Golem."

In one legend the Jews record, the first one to make a Golem was thought to have been Enoch, the first-born son of Seth.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 4:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are a lot of old Jewish stories and myths that can be traced back to each other and even the Bible. Jubilees actually quotes largely directly from Genesis and also quotes Enoch which both support book of Giants.

Our Bible's Old Testament is the Septuaguint. We use the Septuaguint because Jesus and his Apostles quoted from it and it is believed to be a trusted, reliable and inspired source. Other books, myths, histories and texts were never included along with the septuaguint canon because they weren't viewed to be inspired. The only thing not included in the septuagint in Protestant Bibles is the Apocypha.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Is that recorded in the book of Enoch? I have Enoch, I haven't really read into it very much yet.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Wow, that's really interesting! I think that goes along with the story of Lilith, somehow, doesn't it? This is definitely worth reading more about!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Yep jenni, and the other story I posted about Cain being a Vampire is also connected to Lillith. Seems like a lot of old Jewish myths and stories can be traced back to her and it makes me a little suspicious as to why if she is so important is she left out of the Bible?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I just don't get how something wasn't viewed to be 'inspired' and left out of the Bible. Maybe Jesus had no need to quote from those books or the quotes were left out of the telling because the writer's hand was too tired...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• lol. There is a hermeneutical process in determining what is "inspired" and what is not. All 66 books of cannonized scripture claim the authority of God. Jubilees, for example, claims to be an account written by angels and does not claim to have God's authority. Just because something mentions God or Biblical characters does not mean it is meant to be a part of scripture. The Old Testament and New Testament are specifically cannonized as pertinent to the Old Covenant vs. the New Covenant. If something is not relevant to the forerunning of salvation or the heralding/explaining of salvation, it does not belong cannonized with the testaments. We view the 66 cannonized books of scripture as "myths," so including documents traditionally views as myths in with our scriptures just because they happen to mention recognisable characters doesn't make much sense to us :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• The same for the New Testament scriptures. There are thousands of documents and fragments written that talk about Jesus and the apostles etc. We include in our scriptures what the earliest Christians believed to be valid and used themselves. Early canons were compiled and collected and held dear by the churches and earliest followers of Christ; we use what we know they used.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• lol pardon my typos.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Thank you November. So, are these sacred text and documents used along side scriptures and as a reference or are they just there for people to study in theology class and for additional information? I mean if they aren't good enough to be considered part of the Bible, then are they still considered true or just myths?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• November - you are the girl to go to for Biblical history! :-)

There are some that use these texts in their alongside the Bible and there are others that dismiss them altogether as heresy. I am a lover of the Gnostic writings - these were books of the NT that were left out during editing for the same reasons. See, my beliefs are, though, that just because it was left out of the scripture doesn't mean it's any less important or relevant. I use both in conjunction with each other. There are some beautiful and meaningful writings that weren't included in what we know now as the Bible.

I would like to find some of these Jewish writings, though. They sound very interesting. November, do you know where I might be able to find some of these?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2009