I think I might be bipolar.... someone w/experience or information about this please help me!

For the past 4 yrs, I have been on medication for depression. But lately, people close to me have bee saying I show signs of bi-polar. I've always been a depressed person for as far back as I can remember. Im 26 yrs old now & Im so confused about what my problem actually is!! It would be simple to think I just had depression, except I also have these times when I get so angry & violent that I cannot control myself. Then I get so depressed that I dont even want to wake up in the morning. I dont go out & spend money recklessly nor do I have reckless sex like alot of bipolar ppl do. I feel ok sometimes but other times I am beyond depressed to the point I think alot of suicide. Does this sound like depression or bipolar? It's like I can be ok one minute then the next I have all these thoughts of how my life is pathetic & I cry very easily of things that are no big deal to others. PLEASE someone help me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Health

• I think a doctor is better fit to diagnose you rather than a Cafemom'er.
    Mainly, because they'll know your history - have access to your medical files... and they're trained.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I agree w/you. I already have a doctor that I see regarding this, Im here looking for anybody that actually has been diagnosed with this problem to tell me if it sounds like wha they go through. The problem is.. I dont want to be diagnosed with someone thing like this. I mean to have depression is one thing, but to be bipolar? Its scary to even think I might have that, I dont want people to think Im crazy or something. I just want to be normal like everybody else!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Wouldn't you rather know the exact term of what could be wrong with you? Versus always suspecting and being in the dark of why you're having these tendencies?
    Bipolar isn't such a bad thing now - I remember way back in the day, they used to put you in an asylum for that.
    I agree, it's not a great thing to be diagnosed with - however, you'll have a doctor who will be assisting you. Giving you right doses of medication - etc.
    And to compare your symptoms to another's... is kind of like comparing your childhood to someone else's. Everyone's symptoms can vary - just like a woman's pregnancy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder
    There's some information on Bipolar Disorder. :]
    Good luck.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We just went through this with my husband...it's NOT bipolar disorder. This is depression. His psychiatrist went through the symptoms and his are JUST like yours.

Lexapro is helping wonderfully.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• That to me sounds like Depression! If you dont talk to your doc about getting some better meds, you can more then likly get Suicidal...like you said! GET SOME MORE HELP! go see a Counsaler!
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 5:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009