cavities

my child went to the dentist today and they said she is starting to get a cavity in a couple teeth....but then made an appt. for 6 months why didn't they just fix it does that mean she HAS cavites or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It could just mean that the enamel is softening in those areas. It doesn't mean it can't reverse. I had that one time too and I asked. The dentist told me that a flouride toothpaste could strengthen the enamel back up and to try that. But at 3 or 4 yrs. old it seems kind of bad to use flouride. I don't know how coordinated your dd is I mean does she spit out the toothpaste, or swallow it. I could have sworn you aren't supposed to use flouride til they are older.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 4:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• pre-cavity... been there. scary, lol. u can save it, fight it, fix it. We did for our son. We bumped the brushing up to longer periods of time, added flossing, and eliminated raisins from his diet
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• they'll recheck in 6mos and see if it's GONE, still a pre cavity, or a full blown cavity.
    also just til the dental crisis is over, try to eliminate white bread. other than pop & gummies/rasisins/fruit snacks it's the worst thing on earth for healthy teethers.

When you start to chew white bread, the sugar and the carbs in it break down and actually end up making white bread acidic. It can also be very sticky and get stuck between your teeth or on your teeth very easily. White bread can be hard for people who dislike wheat, or any other options, to sacrifice, but it really would be best for your teeth if you did.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Thanks so much yeah she pretty much spits all the tooth paste out.....i was going crazy thinking she already had the cavities so thankful it can be saved she LOVES gummy bears were cutting them out right away and the dentist said she only can have water when she is thirsty and she can drink other drinks when she is eating a meal.....WERE GOING TO SAVE HER TOOTH!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Because it is her baby teeth and the cavity may not advance to the point where she needs to go through with a filling. My son went through that and he lost the tooth before he needed a filing. Stay away from any gummy candy or fruit snacks, they are horrible for the teeth. The fruit snacks stick to the teeth and even after brushing, the sugar is still on the teeth. Limit juice, push water.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2009