Does your child have a speech delay and do they do this?

My 2.5 YO son has a speech delay, although he was evaluated a few months ago and so far they are not overly concerned, but I noticed a trend lately...he says all the sounds things make but won't say what the things actually are, for example, a cow is a "moo" ... a cat = "meow" ... driving = "brrrrm, brrrrm" (driving sounds)... a lion = "roar" ... monkey = "ooo eee ahhh ahh!" etc. So, he'll say, "Hi Meow" to our cat, or "mommy brrm brrm mommy's guck (truck)" kind a thing...Is that a sign of something do you think?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 4:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No speech delay here, but my 22 month old does the same thing! Sometimes he'll say cow, but mostly he says moo. They're just associating things with the sounds they make. If you ask him what a cow says will he say "moo"?

They're not always going to call something what you think they should speech delay or not. My son refuses to say anything close to yogurt. He calls it "MO". He'll say Grandma ( my mom) like "bom bom" but won't even attempt to say Grammy (DH's mom). You'd think we'd at least get a "Bom-ee" or something! They're going to say what they want to say or not say.

I'd say it's a sign that you have a smart little cookie on your hands! Don't worry mom, all is well!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 5:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My daughter has a speech delay and her word for "monkey" is "ooh ooh ahh ahh." From what I'm told, it is very normal.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son has a speech delay due to having Down Syndrome and every animal he points to either barks, growls or quacks no matter what it is. LOL. He does say dog, however and many other words. Mainly he says things that he loves or is interested in. I look at it this way...He may not say as many words as most children his age, but he will eventually catch up. That is all that matters to me.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son isn't delayed but he's 21 months old and when he see's my mom's car, he says vrmmm vrmm... I just say Yes, grammys car goes vroom vroom... we do that with a few of other things also. Like Wee u wee U - Yes, that's what a police car sounds like.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2009