how to get a 29 month old to get to sleep before 2 am?

My dd is up very late every night no matter if she takes a nap or not. i was wondering if any on ehas any idea. she has a tv in her room but that is acting like a night light that is it. Please i need help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd definitely take the tv out immediately. What time does she wake in the morning? What time do you go to bed? Do you have a bed time routine?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• If you have a bedtime routine just slowly move it forward. DD used to go to bed at 10. I moved it back to 9:45, then 9:30, then 9. Now she goes to bed at 8pm and wakes up at 8:30.

Definitely take the TV out too. Get one of those little plug in wall night lights if need be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Wake her up earlier. But I agree with the above anon. It's a shock to the system to try to wake up too early and is just frustrating to put to bed when she's not tired. So wake up about half an hour ealier for a few days and put to bed half an hour earlier and shift the naps about half an hour up too. Then after a few days, maybe a week, shift it again until you get where you want to be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Does she have a bedtime routine? My son is very much a routine Child. We have to do the same things each night or it throws him off. I also give him a few warnings for each step of the way. Ok, pretty soon its time to take a bath, then I repeat it 2 more times before he gets IN the bath - but the routine part is what he needs the most. he knows whats coming, no matter what -i plan to take everything out of his room when I move to a toddler bed in October. that way he has no choice but to go to bed.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• um why does she have a tv in her roon thats bad idea. take the tv away simple as that
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Turn the T.V. off whether you think she is actually watching it or not it is stimulating her brain with flashing lights and different sounds. I agree get an actual night light. tun on the radio on some low soft music if you think she needs the white noise. I also agree with setting up a good bed time routine. Like bath, brush teeth , P.J.'s, cuddles and story followed by lights out. I also agree with making the move slow by waking her up 30 min-1 hour earlier every week until she is going to bed at what you consider a reasonable hour. Don't allow her to get out of bed. If she gets up walk/carry her back, no need to explain why, she knows. She may cry. It won't hurt her to do so. Remember 2 year olds are drama queens and they preform best with a willing and interactive audience. Do it 500 times if you have to it will become fewer trips each night if you stick with it. Don't give in you have to be more stubborn than her
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• thanks to all who answered. i will try this.
    ashley451985

Answer by ashley451985 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I agree with everyone, my daughter used to be like that and it took starting a routine to get her in the habit of bedtime at a decent time. She gets a bath about 8:30pm, gets in pjs, brushes teeth, gets a book read and music played, only has a small crib light on her bed, then I turn lights off and leave music on quiet. She generally falls asleep within a half hour if i just sit next to her bed. Then gets up about 9:30 -10 am. Sometimes doesn't even nap during the day, then its real easy at night. I used to get frustrated cause I had no time to myself when she'd go to bed at the same time as me, now she goes to bed earlier then me and I have time to do whatever without interruption. So much more relaxing. Good luck! I know it will work.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 6:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2009