when did you put your kids in school

my daughter is two and my husband wants her to go to school when shes three, i want her to go when shes four i dont think they need to be in school that early, i think four is a good age to put them in school, so what do you all think three four five ? homeschool is out of the question i would love to be her teacher but my husband is not for home school, because the contrversy with it, his family hates the idea of homeschool so he does to, ie they dont get to be around kids there age they will be hermits shy not have a good job thats what they say/think, no bashing on me or others who post an answer on how they school there kids i just want to know what age you put them in school is it the best for you would you have had them in homeschool ? ect

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You must mean preschool/daycare type school. Because most Kindergartens you have to be 5 I think. If you ca afford to send her to preschool/daycare go ahead.

Answer by louise2 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• its head start/ preschool
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I will put my DD in preschool next year! she will be 4!
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 5:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my two oldest are 3 and 4 and are homeschooled. we only have to do about 30 mins every other day, seeming as how they are toddlers and are easily distracted. you can buy preschool workbooks at walmart in the book section. both my kids konw their abcs, can count, shapes, and colors. and my 4 yr old knows addition and subtraction and can write letters. your toddler isn't gonna learn that until about first grade. maybe you could try explaining to your hsuband that homeschool isn't so bad? if he is worried about your daughter being a hermit, try finding a play group she can go to?

head start though is generally for age 3. preschool about 4. and kindergarten about age 5. good luck!
    jennalms

Answer by jennalms at 5:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We'll probably put our son in preschool when he is 3 ... both DH and I work so we kind of have to. Once he is of preschool age, we have a lot more choices for where he'll go. I work at a catholic school, and would love for him to go where I work, but they only offer half days and I would need full days. Our city offers full days, so we may send him there, or keep him at his current daycare until he is ready to start kindergarten, since they have preschool too.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Headstart only has a few slots for 3 year olds, so it might be a moot point anyway.

That said...my oldest was 4, and wouldn't have started at all if he hadn't been delayed.

My second born is now 3 1/2 and is starting this year, but only because he needs so much therapy, that it will be easier for them to do it in a preschool setting and they will be monitoring his social development as well.

My youngest is only 2 1/2 and as of right now (ask me again next month and it might be different) I'm not planning to send him to preschool at all.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I put my daughter in a 3 year old program this summer (she turned three in March). She had expressed desire to play with other kids, which is why I wanted a preschool program, and some things I don't much like to do, like arts and crafts type projects, they have ladies w at least B.S. in early childhood ed who plan excellent little crafts projects for the kids. My favorite photo from this preschool program is of her smiling while painting. Look at your child's personality and what could be gained by a preschool program, maybe just for a few hours a day.
    mimismom436

Answer by mimismom436 at 7:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• At this age you should be looking more for socialization than education. My guy went to a 3 day program right when he turned 3 and he'll be going to a 3 day program this year at age 4; both programs are 3 hours. It's just a little time apart and he has lots of fun. He is learning some stuff there but at this age the parent should be the principle teacher.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I teach preschool and we have an actual preschool curriculum for 3 and 4 yr olds. We start teaching the 3's the basics of the alphabet, numbers, shapes, colors, etc. With the 4 yr olds we teach them to spell their names, write their names, letters, numbers. We also teach them preschool sight words, the words for colors and shapes, and numbers. Some of the kids come out of preschool reading. Most of our 4 yr olds will be able to count to 100 when they leave, some will be spelling by sound. A good, quality preschool is not just a time for socialization and apart from mommy, it is a time to learn the skills necessary to start Kindergarten. My son started an actual preschool program when he was 3. I work closely with a Kindergarten teacher and know what is expected of kids entering Kindergarten and it is a lot more than socialization, although that is a big part of preschool.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I just put my oldest into kindergarten and my 4 year old wanted to go to school too so I enrolled her in pre-k. Now next year my now 2 year old will turn 3 just in time he could go too but I'm not sure I want to put him in. He wanted to go this year lol. Here were I live they do half a day head start then half a day pre-k and get out at 3. Today was our first day all around. I wish I would have put my kindergartener in pre-k but not at 3. They grow up so fast why rush it?
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:16 AM on Aug. 25, 2009