Is it okay to formula feed instead of breastfeed

when you know you will be drinking after the baby is born? someone told me i have no business trying to breastfeed because i want to drink while doing it... moderately but still want to drink. would it be safer just to formula feed and not even bother getting a milk supply?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• A few doctors have both told me that I can drink while breastfeeding, but I either have to pump about 4oz out of each & dump that supply or I can wait an hour per drink (& that doesn't mean one hour per one long island ice tea...it means actual serving sizes of said alcohol...& a long island ice tea has about 4 servings of alcohol in one glass). Check with your doctor though, but really breastfeeding would be best if you're able to, & drinking shouldn't get in the way (just please be smart & don't just go get wasted...you do have a lil life to care for ya know....)
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 5:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• yeah in that case it would be...you really shouldnt be drinking after having a baby anyways you need to focus on your child not focusing on getting drunk thats a bit selfish and pathetic grow up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• TROLL!
    Anonymous

• no one said anything about getting drunk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• the baby is going to be sleeping half the time anyways
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• So, my answer is not going to be mean like the above. I personally didn't breastfeed. My daughter just would not latch on to my breast. I tried pumping but didn't have enough milk. I know my neighbor breastfed and ocassionally drank. I think this is a question best suited for your doctor though.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 5:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• well, umm, do you have a drinking problem? I don't understand why you want to run out and drink right away-you SHOULD have waited the whole pregnancy, whats a few more months- I don't bash or judge people who don't breastfeed, its NEVER as easy as people say it is, and can be stressful with work, but to choose not to because drinking is more important? Number one you shouldn't even consume ONE drink while having the responsibility of watching a child- and MOST mothers can't leave there babies with ANYONE even grandparents for the first few weeks at LEAST- Why not try to breastfeed a month or so, even that would make a HUGE diff, and be benificial to babies health. Than after a month or so, go to formula, and I guess, If you want GO OUT of the house AWAY from baby, and have a drink. I just don't understand it at all, I turned 21 a week ago, and Im due on the 27th, and I have no intrest in drinking at all?

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 5:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• How much drinking are we talking? One drink a night? You can still breastfeed if you want. Multiple drinks a night? You can do both if you want? Getting stinking drunk nightly? Feeding the baby is the least of your worries. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 5:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• By the way...you will get a milk supply regardless...milk shows up automatically.

• You are better off breastfeeding. Just wait at least one hour per drink after drinking before breastfeeding. There is no reason to pump and dump or anything like that.

You shouldn't drink excessively, but there's no reason you can't have a drink now and then. Try to do it right after you've nursed and baby is asleep hopefully for a few hours. Should be fine.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 5:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009