for parents with children with ADD/ADHD

Does your child show signs of this all the time or just in certain situations? Like only at school?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 5:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Both my kids have ADHD & it's obvious pretty much 24/7. They both have severe ADHD, though. A milder case probably wouldn't be as obvious all the time. A Dr generally won't even diagnose ADHD unless the child shows symptoms in more than one environment.
    If your child is just showing symptoms at school, it might actually just be an issue with his schoolwork. He could be struggling with it, therefore acting out, or he could be advanced & bored with the work.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 6:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I was going to say, I think the diagnosis requires that it not be symptoms that only show up in one environment. It has to be something that crosses the boundaries. I can't remember the exact wording as we just had the eval and then found out it wasn't ADHD but something very different.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 6:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my middle dd has ADHD

she doesn't sit still, even when sitting she fidgets and fiddles and squirms around. she's touchy feely too

ever hear the "oh, look a squirrel" joke? thats my dd to a T.

she can't focus on something for very long and needs constant reminding.

we haven't started school yet (thursday) and this is her first year all day - grade one.

a fantastic book is "You Mean I'm not Lazy Crazy or Stupid?"

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• If it's only school, it is possible he may be a little immature for his grade level or may be having problems with the work. My ADHD kids drives people crazy everywhere - she will do really inappropriate things and forget to do really obvious basic things..she can be the life of the party when there isn't a party, and hse can also be forgetful like you'd expect from an alzheimer patient. If you son shows no signs at home, then I'd explore learing problems or maturity issues first. Ask his teacher if he seems a little less mature than the other students, and ask her if he seems to have difficulty with assignments. I know it is frustrating. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son is "borderline ADHD" which his pediatrician, who incidentially was mine too and told my mother my brother was just an active boy, and told me he would NOT medicate my son because we needed to learn to deal with it, anyway he and the psych. they sent DS to said he is "borderline ADHD". He has days/situations when he just is out of control, the kicker is when he is at school he is too bored just sitting(1st grade teacher let him have a stress ball-helped) and at fun things like the county fair, the circus, some resturants, etc. he was too over stimulated and had melt downs. This sounds really counterproductive, but an abnormal psych professor I had told me to give him a small cup of coffee before something over stimulating and it works like ADHD meds,it really does work. So we have learned to deal with it, and it is more controlled in some situations than others, but he is still SO hyper/distracted most of the time!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• CONT. I know that 8 years ago when DS was tested the asked about several situations and had us and the teacher fill out a questionarre because the behavior had to be consistent in more than one place. Like if it was only at home or only at school then it meant it was probably more a descipline or behavior or learning problem than ADHD.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son is most of the time, he is learning how to control his behavior without meds, but he still needs the meds in order to concentrate at school. He can pay attention when on the computer but the doc said that is because the computer gives off signals at such a fast pace that kids that are ADD/ADHD can sit at a computer for hours because of the signals, that we can't see. I don't give my son his meds during the summer and he drives me crazy, he is soooo impulsive and can't concentrate on anything. It is me reminding him 10 times a day to do even a simple request.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2009