Anyone have any experience with Straterra for ADHD?

My 6 year old was just diagnosed with ADHD and the doctor prescribed Straterra. A bit nervous about giving him a medication although I know he needs it. Anyone have any experience?

njmommy2boys

Asked by njmommy2boys at 5:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• its different for everyone, personally stratera put my high school boyfriend in the hospital with seizures, he was also selling his medications to another friend of ours who also went to the hospital with seizures from stratera.

not saying thats the case for your kid, but i really hate stratera.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Straterra is a non-stimulant unlike some of the other options. It doesn't have the side effects that the stimulants have. They are non-addictive. I was on them for a while and they work well. I understand your concern though. Did you get info. from you son's pediatritian? If not ask for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• ADHD medications work differently for different people. My son was taking ritalin. When my nephew took ritalin he couldn't stay awake ands wouldn't eat. Straterra worked very well for him. Some years later my sons meds were changed to staterra and he has terrible nose bleeds..we went back to ritalin. It is all very specific to your child. most kids do NOT have bad side effects Be aware of what the side effects are and monitor him closely for them. I myself was extremely apphrensive about putting my child on meds. I agreed to try it for ONE week. Three days later I called the Dr and told him to write the perscription. Suddenly my son was calm, focused and could actually sit still for more than 45 seconds.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my ds was on it for a year-- i liked it-- he seemed to do well on-- no side effects-- i did however, think that it wasnt as effective after a year-- thats why we switched-- he's been on a few different Rx-- message me if youd like:)
    armywife7885

Answer by armywife7885 at 5:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I haven't used Strattera but my son has been on Ritalin, Concerta and Vyvanse. Out of the 3, Vyvanse has been the best. Less side affects than any of the other meds, he actually has an appetite. He takes enough to get him through the school day and that is it. Each child responds to the meds differently, a child should NOT be a zombie when on the meds. They should still be them but more able to concentrate, less impulsive and able to sit still for long periods of time.It could be a guessing game about which meds will work for your child and it could take more than one type before you find one that will work.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son took it for about 5 years. He did very well on it. No side effects to speak of. It really helped him with his concentration at school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I read an interesting article......The use of all color dyes used in foods has been banned in Europe, but not the USA. They have found a definitive link to food dyes an ADHD. Check into it, a restricted diet my do wonders...Good Luck
    doublefistin

Answer by doublefistin at 12:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2009

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2009