How do I get my boy to quite hitting the dogs?

I have yelled at him spanked him, I don't know what to do , he's so rough he pulls on the little one and hangs on them, puts stuff on the heads, I try to keep him away from the dogs but he needs to learn how to treat them nice, I show him how to pet them and tell him to be gental but when I turn my back he's doing sometime to hurt her. How do I stop it.

NicholeAT

Asked by NicholeAT at 5:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pets

• My daughter is the same way. I put her in time out for it now. SHe used to lose the use of her arm (I'd hold it by her side and not let her move it) until she could be more gentle. She's good to him, she'll pet and give kisses, but if she's mad, she goes after the dog for some reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• ultimate punishment for animal cruelty, take away his favorite thing or put him in his room for a while

have him watch animal cops and tell him the police will come and take him to jail if he's mean to the dog.

i'd smack him too, i can't stand kids abusing animals
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• :{
    How old is your boy?
    I have a 14 month old who slaps our dogs - but.. he slaps everything, and he laughs. We've been teaching/showing him to pet the dogs, and saying "nice doggy" and whenever he hits - we just say "ouch!" and demonstrate again.
    He's getting the hang of it pretty well.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• He's 3
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 5:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• He is old enough to start reasoning with him. Say "how would you feel if the dog was mean to you?" or even tell him that if he can not touch the dog nicely he won't be able to have the dog around. " Wouldn't you be sad if the dog (use dog's name) was not your friend any more?"
    Reward him for being nice around the dog. Watch for him to do something nice without you telling him to, bring it to his attention, and reward him for being a good friend to the dog.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son used to be the same way with our dogs/cats. He used to be quit mean, but I worked with him and now he is much better. He still gets rough every now and then, but not like he used to. I used to put my son in his bed EVERY time he was rough/mean to the animals. I also used to take away things he liked to play with. It took time, but it worked.

bookay

Answer by bookay at 9:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• does he like the dog? If he likes the dog then tell him if he can't play nice with the dog then he won't get to play with the dog for the rest of the day. My stepdaughter used to be mean to our kittens when they were born. She would pick them up by their necks and shake them or kick them and just be rough with them, she thought she could play with them like she does her dog and we kept telling her that they are more fragile that they will get hurt easier than her 5 year old labrador retriever. Eventually after going days without being able to play with any of the animals she got the hint that she had to be nice. everytime she was mean to even just one animal we told her she was not allowed to play with any of them, we have 2 dogs and 5 cats
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 9:56 AM on Aug. 25, 2009