How did you satrt out your Baby on solids??

Think it's just about time to try baby food... my dd is a lil over 5 months and starting to seem real interested in the food me and her father eat... she's also (almost) sitting up pretty well.... just curious about some of your suggestions and experiences... please share

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 5:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I introduced fruits first. One at a time for a couple of days, then started slowly adding veggies.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Mashed a banana and offered it.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my pedi recommened to start with veggies (but i did fruits with DD1) right now my twins are only 3 months so we havent started anything with them yet but were going to do veggies first and only do one type a week to make there are no allergies
    katelynsmom22

Answer by katelynsmom22 at 5:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I thought you're suppose to start off with cereal, like rice cereal, first? No
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 5:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I did the stages on Jar food then went to solids! but did Cereal real Early
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 5:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I bought 2 jars of each single ingredient food, stage 2 size. (more cost effective and it's the same stuff as stage 1..cheaper in the long run)

I put them in alphabetical order in the cupboard.

I started with "A" and ran through the alphabet with foods (who cares if veggie or fruit), making sure to give each for 4 days (1/2 jar in a bowl, rest in fridge for next day...hence two jars of each one)

Once through the single ingredients, we added some combinations and by then they were 6 months so we also started finger and table foods as well. Don't bother with stage 3....not necessary and a choking hazard with a mouth full of slime and when you swallow you discover a chunk.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• started with cereal at 3 months, now doing friuts and veggies at 4 months
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• ok ill admit i started cereal at 3 months in a bottle (yes i know)
    cereal on a spoon at 4 months and at five months we started fruits and cereal mixed then one veggie a week now were almost at 6 months and doing cereal for breakfast, some fruit and some veggie for lunch and same with dinner. after her 6 month "b-day" I am going to introduce first meats one at a time.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 7:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I started cereal at 4 months. I would give about a tablespoon once a day. Then after almost a month I started letting her try fruits and veggies mixed in with her cereal, still once a day. I let her have [in this order] bananas, yams, apple, avocado, carrots, peas.
    Now at 6 months I give her a fruit and cereal for lunch. And a veggie and cereal for dinner. I only give her like a third of a jar at a time (but I make my own)
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 7:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I actually started putting cereal in my sons bottle like once a day or every other day at 3 mo. and he loved it and he got fuller! And at 4 mo. he was very excited to try real food! Bananas never fail so I would start with those! Some babies don't like solids, but don't give up! They will learn to love them before you know it!
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 1:09 AM on Aug. 25, 2009