Car Seat Question

What do you do if you see people put their 2 year old in a car just strapping her to the seat and just setting their infant car seat in the car (no base, not straping it in)?

I caught my neighbors doing this numerous times and when I asked another neighbor, they said they never strap them in or use the car seat. What do I do if I see it happen again?

KaileyB2004

Asked by KaileyB2004 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Maybe you could just nicely suggest to them that their children would be safer if they strapped them in correctly.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 5:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Call CPS.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Wth?
    I've used a car seat with no base ONCE - and that was in a dire emergency, but I did buckle the car seat in extra tight and tucked towels under it so it wouldn't move at all.
    If they're not even doing that... I don't see what the point is about using a car seat.

I would call CPS or contact the police department and see what the protocol is on this situation.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• They have been told before and they blatenly said "The front seat will hold the car seat in". I thought that if there is an accident for every 1 lb of body weight is x10 of Force?

I heard that they police cant do anything unless they are stopped for other reasons.

I'm just afraid that if they get into an accident the kids would get killed
    KaileyB2004

Answer by KaileyB2004 at 5:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• If you've already said something to them, then let it be. Obviously they'll do what they feel is right. My SIL has an older vehicle and puts her youngest in without a car seat base (just straps them in). It's not the safest, but I don't think their vehicle has the LATCH system.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Actually, to get the force that would be put on the child you times their body weight by how fast you are going-Such as if you were to wreck with a 10lb child going 50mph thats 500lbs of force put on a child. A 40lb child at 40mph is 1600lbs of force.Thats why its important to rear face, because most of that is distributed to the carseat and not the childs spine/neck. And its also why 5pt harness are important, because forward facing children have alot of force put on them and the harness distributes that to the strong parts of the body. I would call CPS and the cops. And keep calling until something is done about it.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 6:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• They stick the youngest in the carseat, strap him inside the 5 pt harness and just set the carseat into the car. No strapping that in or base.

That thing becomes airborne in a wrect could not only kill the baby but another person
    KaileyB2004

Answer by KaileyB2004 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My SIL has an older vehicle and puts her youngest in without a car seat base (just straps them in). It's not the safest, but I don't think their vehicle has the LATCH system.

_______________________________________________________
    Our last 2 cars didn't have a LATCH system and our carseats were still properly secured according to the directions that came with the car seat for use without a LATCH system. That's just crap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2009